Humid hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good morning :)
I made a humid hide to Hermy but he does not want to go in it. Even if his favorite hide is not there. I removed his favorite hide and I put him in the humid hide. After 30 minutes I went to check on him and I saw my poor Hermy outside his humid hide stick to the wall. Maybe he does like the humidity. Should I try to find another hide that I could put a sponge in it or just let him sleep in his normal hide. I already tried to put a wet sponge in his favorite hide but since the ceiling of the hide is low, I saw him try to eat the sponge.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My vote would be to leave his favored hide alone and offer him another option if he wants some humidity. Remember, tortoises are neophobic- a cool fancy term that means they dislike change. Give him a choice and some time to get used to it.

M

Maggie Cummings

So now I know that's what I am...neophobic!!! I haven't been following this thread too much, so would you forgive me and explain why you don't just keep the substrate moist thus creating humidity and let Hermy sleep where he wants to?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Isn't it bad to keep the substrate too moist as this might cause shell rot? I really don't know the answer, but it's just something I heard frome somewhere.....too bad I can't remember where...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for your replies :D

Maggie & Terry, In Hermy's enclosure, there are reptile carpets, porcelain tiles and aspen and he hates the aspen, he never goes on the aspen and when he does, he stops moving for a bit and come back on the carpet or tiles. I had to remove the others substrate because the vet told me Hermy is allergic too all the dusty substrate (when there was substrate in his enclosure, he was often sneezing).
Madkins, good idea. I will let his humid hide in his enclosure, he will decide where he wants to go.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
terryo said:
Oh...poor Hermy. I can't believe he is allergic...I never heard of that.

Yes, I know... At first, I did not believe it but when I really thought about it, it made sense. Plus even now, I change the carpet where he is sleeping every 2 weeks because I dont want it to get dusty (Before there was timothy hay in his hide, he was sneezing all the time in his hide. I already tried shpagmum moss but he was eating it (like really eating it) and did not want to sleep on it, so I removed it. Next time I will see the new vet, I will ask him more question about tha, I will explain him the situation (regarding the allergy) and ask him what he thinks.

maggie3fan said:
Thanks...it helps to understand!

No problem Maggie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.