Humidifier Recommendation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbirt27

5 Year Member
Hi all-

I need to add a humidifier to my RF enclosure which is, for now, a 45 gal tub. I already have a shelf across the tub to sit the lights on and I'd like to find something that would fit on this shelf under the plexiglass lid. All the humidifiers I have seen are much too big. The tub feels a little cramped with 2 hides, basking area, water bowl, food dish, & a couple of plants. When I get a proper table built I hope to use a more "built-in" method of creating humidity, but for now I need something that will easily fit a smaller area as a sort-of retro-fit solution. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, small-ish humidifier and/or know where I might find one to purchase?

image-2113717356.png

image-1574448272.png

image-2935327080.png

image-1545428091.png

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a personal humidifier,guardian pure from Bed, Bath, Beyond. I pipe mine in using PVC pipe, works good. Got the idea from another member last year, don't remember who:(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You can also try a simple redesign.

- Make the substrate over 4" deep, and just keep the bottom inch wet.If the water wicks up to the surface, either lower the level or add chunkier stuff to the mix.
- Position the whole thing in a warm area to try to make the bottom of the tub warm.

Otherwise, I don't really see that you have much of a problem as is- humidity should be OK in that design. What are your real humidity numbers?

kbirt27

5 Year Member
wellington said:
I have a personal humidifier,guardian pure from Bed, Bath, Beyond. I pipe mine in using PVC pipe, works good. Got the idea from another member last year, don't remember who:(

Great idea. I will try that if I can't find a small enough one with a 12 hr run time.

Can you post some photos of how the PVC pipes are connected to the humidifier and then into the enclosure?

I can get it up to 70 by pouring in water but it doesn't stay up that high for more than half a day. So I am constantly adding water and then my RF loves to burry himself in the wet layer so I worry about shell rot. But if I don't continually pour in water (2-3 times a day) humidity sits around 50%. I tried using a spray bottle to mist but that lasts even a shorter time for me. I am hoping a humidifier might keep the humidity up without risking shell rot from the little guy sleeping in the wet substrate.

I plan to have my sister help me build a good table this summer and want to try the heat ropes under the substrate on that so this is a temporary fix to get us through a couple months.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Is the top more open than it appears to be? With a covered tub and deep substrate with a wet bottom, you should not have a problem with high humidity. Where and how are you measuring it?

When you add the water, is the substrate still wet before you add more? If so, then the problem is loosing it out the top.

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Orlando
I have a setup similar to yours and all I do is mist it good 2-3 times a day. Really shouldn't need to spend money on a humidifier just get a spray bottle that has a mist setting. A tad bit more work but I actually enjoy misting my cage and my baby red foots seem to enjoy it too.

red_Celica

5 Year Member
i too was thinking of the zoo med fogger but i'm also using a 60 watt heat emitter was woundering if the both can be used together yah i live in hawaii but my red foot stay in the same bed room as me. i spray Celica's enclosure twice a day once in the morning and again before the sun goes down but i was thinking maybe the humidifier could help me out a little

Status
Not open for further replies.