Humidifier

Gidigo

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just bought a baby tortoise and a humidifier along with it. Does my baby tortoise need a humidifier?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I just bought a baby tortoise and a humidifier along with it. Does my baby tortoise need a humidifier?
Your baby needs high humidity, but if he is in a proper closed chamber enclosure, you don't need a humidifier.

What species of tortoise? Please post pictures of his enclosure, lights, him, etc. Then we can offer help for you so he is kept in a way that he will thrive.

Where did you buy him? If at a pet shop, they probably sold you stuff you don't need, like the humidifier. Don't buy anything til we can give you suggestions to make wise purchases.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If your set up a decent closed chamber then no you won't need one.

Gidigo

Massachusetts
Your baby needs high humidity, but if he is in a proper closed chamber enclosure, you don't need a humidifier.

What species of tortoise? Please post pictures of his enclosure, lights, him, etc. Then we can offer help for you so he is kept in a way that he will thrive.

Where did you buy him? If at a pet shop, they probably sold you stuff you don't need, like the humidifier. Don't buy anything til we can give you suggestions to make wise purchases.

gidigo.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
What species of tortoise? It looks to me like you've got the standard Petco/PetSmart tortoise setup. I'd bet you have an adult wild caught Russian and not a baby. In which case you wouldn't need a humidifier.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Oh my. . . where do we start?

I'm sorry to say you've been sold a bunch of stuff you really don't need and shouldn't use.

First off, you've referred to your new tortoise as a baby. Did you buy this "baby" at the same time and at the same place where you bought the above shown equipment? If your answer is "yes", then I have to agree with Todd above and your tortoise isn't a baby. But we'll need to see pictures of the tortoise to be sure.

At any rate, you don't need a humidifier. You don't need that reptile water bowl. You don't need that reptile feeding bowl. And you definitely don't need that hay!!!!! And what about lights and heat? I don't see any of that in the picture.

But before we can help you, we'll need to see pictures of the actual tortoise you bought so we're sure what species we're giving you help with.