Humidity and temperature levels for sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Tx
I have being doing some more research on my hatchling sulcatas. Their enclosure is a 40 Gallon with a screen top. I have a zoo med heating pad on the side of the tank for at night and the 100 watt multispectrum bulb for the day when they are not outside. I have thermometers and a humidity thing in it. What is the proper temp and humidity you all recommend? I have read humidity can make them sick... then I have read it is necessary for healthy shells and torts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its old school to believe that the sulcata needs a dry environment. The new and current school of thought is that the humidity offered during the first year of a sulcata's life helps to get the shell started on smooth growth. We have quite a bit going on this subject here on the forum. Here's just one:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-15137.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The simple answer is keep them humid, give them a humid hide box, soak them, spray them and keep them warm round the clock. 75-80 minimum, but with a 100 degree basking spot. I have not been able to induce any respiratory problems or shell rot or any other problems due to very excessive moisture, humidity and general wetness. If you use some moisture, but less than "very excessive", you should be fine too. Let me emphasize, you must also keep them warm 24/7. If they are still smooth after the first year, then you can ease up on the wetness and start letting night temps drop a little.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Kristen...keep the temp in the tank between 75 (at the cool end) and 120 in the basking area. A UV bulb is not neccesary if you can keep them outside at least 6-8 hours a day. Depending on the substrate you use, you'll wanna mist them every couple hours.

Nice! Again, Tom beats me by a minute:D

Kristen

5 Year Member
Houston, Tx
I am using a play sand cocunut mix for substrate. They are outside only about and hour a day until I can finish my predator safe "play pen" due to their size. The light in their enclosure is uva/uvb bulb and it does not seem to be putting off much heat. I have moss that I keep wet down with a sprayer in their hiding spot. I guess I will spray the substrate, the torts daily. I do soak them after their outside time. Their cool spot is reading about 75 degrees but around their light in only about 80-85 degrees. Is their a specific buld you suggest to give them what they need. The humidity is reading 40% but I need to check if it is working because it has not changed at all since I bought it yesterday.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only have experience with the T-Rex 100 watt Active UV/heat bulb. It has worked real well for me. In the past I never used a UV bulb, and I noticed a big difference in my babies once I gave them the T-Rex bulb. It gets VERY hot directly under the light (so maybe there's something wrong with yours, or maybe its up too high).

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I would caution against the sand...if it sticks to their food, it can cause impaction in their digestive system...don't want that.

Kristen

5 Year Member
Houston, Tx
oh crap! So what substrate would you recommend.... thats awful! That mixture was recommended by the private breeder.

Found something.... organic top soil with coconut fiber should be better... right? I will switch this weekend.... thanks for the heads up... I took his word and failed to do the proper research. Thank thank thank you!

ekm5015

5 Year Member
A UV bulb is not neccesary if you can keep them outside at least 6-8 hours a day

I think an hour or two in the sun a day is enough for proper d3 levels. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

oh crap! So what substrate would you recommend.... thats awful! That mixture was recommended by the private breeder.

The best substrates to use would be coco coir or cypress mulch. Both maintain good moisture levels and are safe for the tort.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
ekm5015 said:
A UV bulb is not neccesary if you can keep them outside at least 6-8 hours a day

I think an hour or two in the sun a day is enough for proper d3 levels. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

The best substrates to use would be coco coir or cypress mulch. Both maintain good moisture levels and are safe for the tort.

Coco coir is good (especially for humidity levels)...I don't recommend cyprus mulch, because too many babies tend to eat it. And an hour or two is not enough to maintain proper d3 levels...they need a minimum of 6 hours.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.