Humidity

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
I have a similar question regarding the closed chamber. My humidity Maintains at 65% then to 95 % when I mist it which is usually every other day. Problem I’m having now since I live in Florida is that it is getting to 95 degrees in his humid hide.
He has a cooler side that stays around 85 but he never goes on that side of the enclosure. I’m not using a heat source except for the basking bulb which gets 95-100 Under the light but being that’s it’s a closed chamber it heats the whole box!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you wet the substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a similar question regarding the closed chamber. My humidity Maintains at 65% then to 95 % when I mist it which is usually every other day. Problem I’m having now since I live in Florida is that it is getting to 95 degrees in his humid hide.
He has a cooler side that stays around 85 but he never goes on that side of the enclosure. I’m not using a heat source except for the basking bulb which gets 95-100 Under the light but being that’s it’s a closed chamber it heats the whole box!
All of that sounds perfect for a little sulcata, and your enclosure looks excellent! 95 on the warm side for a day time high is great. Its hotter than that today over in Africa where they come from! Most people don't keep sulcatas warm enough. He could move over to the other side if he felt too warm. That he doesn't should tell us all something.

The dial gauge is useless. Those are notoriously inaccurate and unreliable. Get a digital one from the hardware store and put it where the tortoise is. I'll bet your humidity is higher than you think. If not, close off some ventilation. What size basking bulb? You might need to go to a lower wattage one for summer.

Soak EVERY day at those temperatures. You can start skipping days once he's over 100 grams.

Melissacoop

Pembroke Pines, FL
I went down to a 75 watt basking bulb. I was thinking of putting it on a timer to go on and off throughout the day instead of going to a lower watt bulb? I've been soaking every other day only because when he's in his outside play area he has water that he drinks and wades in it and we squirt him down and he plays in running water and usually poos and pees so I didn't think the actual soak was necessary every day since he hates it, but I'm not opposed.