Humidity difficulties

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Hey, I'm having trouble keeping humidity up in my leos enclosure. I poor atleast two bottles of water on the warm side every day on the cypress. I spray alot but I still can't get it to stay humid any ideas?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One of the benefits of a covered or closed in enclosure is that you can use lower wattage bulbs to get the same temps.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Right I'm using 125 solarglo so it's hot. But smart idea I must say. The fog doesn't bother the tortoise. Because I have a reptifogger would that work if I let the fog just roll in?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. The reptifogger will work. I actually used that first, but it only lasted two weeks or so and quit. I returned it and bought the personal one in the pic. The fog doesn't bother him at all. I had an open enclosure before I built this one. For the same problem your having, humidity, I built this one. Used all the same lighting and heating as before. I didn't have to change any bulbs. In fact I just had to add the fluorescent house lamp bulb so it would be brighter in tub 2. I also keep coir moist. I grow weeds and grass in it.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I actually just planted Kentucky grass. I'm trying to order from sulcata food.com but having trouble with paypal. I don't know where to get lawn weedS seeds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Carolina pet supply is where I got mine. It was a mixture of seeds. They have a great variety to choose from. I have a order of their chia seeds and TNT on the way. They have a advertisement at the top of TFO, check them out. Prices seem reasonable.

wellington said:
Carolina pet supply is where I got mine. It was a mixture of seeds. They have a great variety to choose from. I have a order of their chia seeds and TNT on the way. They have a advertisement at the top of TFO, check them out. Prices seem reasonable.

I also read earlier a thread asking about bird seed. You can also grow pet bird seed, turns to weeds/grass for the torts to eat. I am not sure about wild bird seed. Not sure if wild is as safe as captive. My bird waist a lot of his seeds, so now I am going to throw them in the mix of seeds also.:D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I just sold my parrot. He was getting too noisy an my moms having surgery so can't have a loud bird around. Would Carolina pet ship to Canada?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I am going to assume they do, only because when they have "free shipping" it will say to USA only. That makes me think they ship outside the US. you maybe able to email them from their web sited and ask. If you can't let me know and I can call them for you and find out. Maybe some one on TFO knows? However let me know if you would like me to call them tomorrow and find out.:D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I did email thanks for the offer though. Hopefully they don't just use paypal for some reason paypal doesn't accept my credit card.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
tyguy35 said:
I did email thanks for the offer though. Hopefully they don't just use paypal for some reason paypal doesn't accept my credit card.

I don't use paypal at all. Strickly a credit card through their site. However you being in Canada, I don't know if that would make a difference or not. I would think not.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I guess we will find out lol. So what would you suggest me getting grassland seed mix?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is what I bought. I also purchase dandelion seeds, but I am waiting until I can plant them this summer. He eats the stuff before it even becomes close to a dandelion. I also just ordered the chia seeds.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Oh ok I'll give them all a try. What if you fenced the seeds in his enclosure with popsicle sticks so he didn't nibble?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I used to grow them in separate containers then add them in as they grew. The other seeds grew faster than the dandelions. Now I just grow the seeds in every spot that doesn't have a dish or rock, so there isn't really one spot anymore. Thanks for the idea though.:D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Hey, I got the grassland mix from Carolina pet supply wooohooo lol. By the way what is TNT

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great, i am so glad the ship to Canada. TNT is Dried weed, flower and plants. To sprink on his food. Also from Carolina Pet Supply. Check it out on their website. It explains it. Many on TFO has given good reviews. :D

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Ok I'll check it out. I just hooked up the fogger. Tank is very curious of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.