Humidity, hide, and diet questions

AlexW

Location (City and/or State)
California
I was wondering where I could get a good humidity gauge since baby leopards need humidity from 75-90? The other question is my 4 month old leopard (Hubert) also never uses it’s hide and I was wondering if that is a normal thing? I covered the top of it in substrate, dug out an area, and added hydrated moss but I’ve never seen Hubert use it in the past 3 months I’ve had it. My final question is about it’s diet. I use the Mazuri tortoise pellets, I add different greens like dandelion greens and flowers once a week, and every three days I give Hubert a calcium and vitamin mix with the pellets. I was wondering if the pellets are a good diet for it since I mix in greens and supplements. Hubert’s diet is 90% pellets and 10% greens. Thank you all so much in advance for the answer. I really appreciate feedback especially since it’s the second tortoise I’ve owned.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For the diet reverse what you are doing. The pellets should be a small supplemental part of the diet. Weeds, grass, and flowers should be the majority. I hydrate and add zoomed grazing grassland tortoise food, and hay pellets to the greens fairly regularly. Again though as a small percent. I use a digital thermostat that also measures humidity. Pic attached. It has a probe and they last very well. I found them on Amazon. As to the hide, they do what they want. Moss is often not popular. WIN 20190606 19 06 31 Pro

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering where I could get a good humidity gauge since baby leopards need humidity from 75-90? The other question is my 4 month old leopard (Hubert) also never uses it’s hide and I was wondering if that is a normal thing? I covered the top of it in substrate, dug out an area, and added hydrated moss but I’ve never seen Hubert use it in the past 3 months I’ve had it. My final question is about it’s diet. I use the Mazuri tortoise pellets, I add different greens like dandelion greens and flowers once a week, and every three days I give Hubert a calcium and vitamin mix with the pellets. I was wondering if the pellets are a good diet for it since I mix in greens and supplements. Hubert’s diet is 90% pellets and 10% greens. Thank you all so much in advance for the answer. I really appreciate feedback especially since it’s the second tortoise I’ve owned.
What Jodie said!

I get my temp/humidity gauges at Lowes.

Here is more care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

The title says "sulcata", but the food list is good. Less grass for a leopard:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/