Humidity, hide, and diet questions

AlexW

Location (City and/or State)
California
I was wondering where I could get a good humidity gauge since baby leopards need humidity from 75-90? The other question is my 4 month old leopard (Hubert) also never uses it’s hide and I was wondering if that is a normal thing? I covered the top of it in substrate, dug out an area, and added hydrated moss but I’ve never seen Hubert use it in the past 3 months I’ve had it. My final question is about it’s diet. I use the Mazuri tortoise pellets, I add different greens like dandelion greens and flowers once a week, and every three days I give Hubert a calcium and vitamin mix with the pellets. I was wondering if the pellets are a good diet for it since I mix in greens and supplements. Hubert’s diet is 90% pellets and 10% greens. Thank you all so much in advance for the answer. I really appreciate feedback especially since it’s the second tortoise I’ve owned.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
For the diet reverse what you are doing. The pellets should be a small supplemental part of the diet. Weeds, grass, and flowers should be the majority. I hydrate and add zoomed grazing grassland tortoise food, and hay pellets to the greens fairly regularly. Again though as a small percent. I use a digital thermostat that also measures humidity. Pic attached. It has a probe and they last very well. I found them on Amazon. As to the hide, they do what they want. Moss is often not popular.WIN_20190606_19_06_31_Pro.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was wondering where I could get a good humidity gauge since baby leopards need humidity from 75-90? The other question is my 4 month old leopard (Hubert) also never uses it’s hide and I was wondering if that is a normal thing? I covered the top of it in substrate, dug out an area, and added hydrated moss but I’ve never seen Hubert use it in the past 3 months I’ve had it. My final question is about it’s diet. I use the Mazuri tortoise pellets, I add different greens like dandelion greens and flowers once a week, and every three days I give Hubert a calcium and vitamin mix with the pellets. I was wondering if the pellets are a good diet for it since I mix in greens and supplements. Hubert’s diet is 90% pellets and 10% greens. Thank you all so much in advance for the answer. I really appreciate feedback especially since it’s the second tortoise I’ve owned.
What Jodie said!

I get my temp/humidity gauges at Lowes.

Here is more care info:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

The title says "sulcata", but the food list is good. Less grass for a leopard:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/