Humidity in hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Is there a preferred humidity I should provide while my Hermanns hibernate in the refridgerator?

Danny helped me with this question before and advised to at least measure the humidity. Well it varies between 25-30% which I thought was a bit low so I tried to raise the humidity with an open bowl of water in there, but it made no difference.

I don't understand the science but someone told me I would not be able to raise the humidity fridge because the air in it is already holding the amount of water that it can hold, and its all to do with the temperature. The cold air just isn't going to pick any of it up.

Would be intersted in any views - is my humidity too low, and if so how to raise it? Thanks Jonathan

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
That humidity is just fine Jonathan. When hibernating you want it cold and dry and not cold and damp.
Yes the lower the air temperature the less water it can hold, thus lowering the air humidity.

Danny

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you Danny! All seems well in the fridge so far, and now I can stop worrying about the humidity.

oswego tort lover

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
oswego co. ny. u.s.a.
i went to my fridge to recheck the humidity as i hibernate my adult pair of testudo hermanni hermanni as well as my russians. 45%, i have them in shredded aspen and to raise the humidity i add a half cup of well water over the aspen as needed. i also keep the temps as measured by pe-2 tempgun pointed on a leg at 40f. im sure back ground humidity would play a part in your fridges humidity..........ed

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Just to say, for what it's worth the humidity in the fridge where I hibernated my two juveniles was mostly 30 to 40% and I am very happy to say that the tortoises both seem well. So apart from being very relieved and delighted to see them, I think its fair to say that amount of humidity wasn't harmful to them.

Next year I won't worry quite so much about this aspect of it! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.