Humidity level for a baby Redfoot tortoise enclosure.

Crush77

We just recently added a baby Red Footed Tortoise to our family. The enclosure we made for it, is made out of a 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub, with about 2 inches of substrate made of Eco Earth compressed coconut fiber, and Repti Bark fir bark. We've been told it's best for a baby to have about 80 % of humidity in the enclosure, but our gauge in our enclosure is reading 60%. Should we be raising the humidity level? And if so, what are some good ways of raising it?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
We just recently added a baby Red Footed Tortoise to our family. The enclosure we made for it, is made out of a 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub, with about 2 inches of substrate made of Eco Earth compressed coconut fiber, and Repti Bark fir bark. We've been told it's best for a baby to have about 80 % of humidity in the enclosure, but our gauge in our enclosure is reading 60%. Should we be raising the humidity level? And if so, what are some good ways of raising it?

I would first add substrate to offer at least 5 to 6 inches ---this will allow any moisture you add to retain in the deeper level of the substrate and if the tort wants to dig down, the deeper substrate will offer another variable for the tortoise to utilize....I personally do not like the wood/bark substrate...but others do...personal choice item.....just remember, when you are dealing with higher levels of humidity as you describe...then be sure that the entire enclosure temps do not drop below 80 at all times....

Crush77

Thank you ascott, I appreciate the input. Other than the bark, what other options are good for a substrate? Like I said, this is our first tortoise, and with it being a baby, we want to make sure we take all the proper precautions, for it to grow happy and healthy. Thanks again, and any other input on increasing the humidity level would be very appreciated.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Those gauges you buy at the pet store can be inaccurate, I would recommend purchasing a hygrometer instead.

I do all of the above, plus pour warm water in the corners of the substrate every couple of days to keep everything moist.

Crush77

Thank you guys! We want to make sure this little guy/gal gets all the TLC it needs. We love our little baby Redfoot.

moongrace

5 Year Member
Just found this thread because I am double checking Sheldor's tank conditions until we build a new one. I think everything is ok but I would like to defer to those more experienced. This redfoot is a whole lot different from all the Eastern box turtles I kept as a kid. The tank has bark substrate at around 5-6 inches deep. He is about 8 months old and is a better eater for different types of foods since we started cutting up his food in small pieces so that he has no choice but to eat the various pieces instead of only choosing the peppers or mangos or squash over the greens. The temperature and humidity are both running at 80 on the gauges. He seems to prefer the dry side of the tank where the half log is rather than spending a lot of time on the bath/water humidifier end. I have an auto humidifier that turns on for 30 seconds every hour. Do these settings and levels sound right? Thanks so much!!!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Many people use a humidifier and like them. I do not.
I use a closed chamber set up with orchid bark covered with pure potting soil or compost.
Your temps and humidity are currently good, but if you still have issues, I'd strongly suggest the closed chamber method.
I use a UVB strip light that sits inside the chamber attached to the lid with vent holes and a 15 watt "rope" heater attached to the bottom on the outside. (Glass) The lid is a plexiglass section with a simple duct tape hinge on the back.
I also have an aquarium air pump that I use with an air bubbler stuck in a tall tube of water.
I pour water into the corners of the substrate and the orchid bark absorbs it leaving the top layer pretty dry and I end up with high humidity, warmth and a surface that isn't soggy.

moongrace

5 Year Member
Many people use a humidifier and like them. I do not.
I use a closed chamber set up with orchid bark covered with pure potting soil or compost.
Your temps and humidity are currently good, but if you still have issues, I'd strongly suggest the closed chamber method.
I use a UVB strip light that sits inside the chamber attached to the lid with vent holes and a 15 watt "rope" heater attached to the bottom on the outside. (Glass) The lid is a plexiglass section with a simple duct tape hinge on the back.
I also have an aquarium air pump that I use with an air bubbler stuck in a tall tube of water.
I pour water into the corners of the substrate and the orchid bark absorbs it leaving the top layer pretty dry and I end up with high humidity, warmth and a surface that isn't soggy.

That might work. We did originally try to control the humidity by keeping a closed system with plexiglass on top and a fountain of running water in there in addition to a water/soak bowl but it would never come up to the humidity needed. Could have been the bulbs drying it out. We were literally pouring water at times on the substrate and I was gritting my teeth that I couldn't keep it under control. Then next thing I knew, the substrate was soaked, the gauge was still around 40 for the humidity and he started getting patchy underneath. Neither one of us were happy campers! Right now with the humidifier it seems to be controlled most of the time with heat and humidity consistent despite running the air conditioning. However, I LOVE the bubbler idea with the tube of water and I have unused aquarium supplies here. I have a UVB on a timer and a red heat bulb that stays on around the clock He seems to prefer the heat bulb side and likes digging a sleep hole up under the log there. I like these ideas you have here! Especially since we are checking out a new set up to build that has more foot room for him to move around and for me to be able to put that fountain back in there! Thanks so much!!!!