Humidity levels for leopards

bait1up

Hello, i have recently adopted two baby leopard tortoises and since i live in Arizona it has been difficult to keep the humidity levels up. I have attached a misting system to their yard pen and turn it on for a minute or two a couple of times a day to get the grass wet. Will this work or should i be doing something different? Thank you in advance for your help.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Can you put the misters on a timer and have them go off every hour? With babies the more humid the better. If you soak them daily and they have water dishes, they will grow up fine and healthy. If your going for the smoothest shell than your going to have to enclose them and keep the humidity up.

bait1up

Thank you for your response. I can get a timer at home depot, which ill do tonight. I keep them in an aquarium at night and i spray the sustrate everynight plus i give them baths every evening. I really hope this is enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would make sure their sleeping quarters has a humidity level of 80 with temps no lower then 80. That will help a lot for growing a smooth shell. If they are really little, be very careful with them outside in really hot temps. Heat stroke can attack a baby very easy. I would also spray the yard hourly as mentioned.

bait1up

Thank you Wellington. I was worried it may be to hot for them so I have been making sure they are in shade and keep there shade area on the concrete wet from the hose.