Humidity levels in the basking spot

lornaB

Location (City and/or State)
EXETER
Hi everyone, I would really like some help -My marginated tort outgrew her initial home so i have made an extension for her - which measures 108cm (42") by 150cm (58"). She is indoors.
I've read through Tom's notes on the BEST way to raise a tortoise (thanks so much Tom!) but i'm struggling with the varying humidity levels in the different parts of her hide. There is some pyramiding from her early years (she's 3) so it's a really big factor to make sure it doesn't get worse.
At one end of her enclosure there is a perspex roof and it's a constant 90-99% humidity and a humid hide at 99% - BUT she spends almost all her time under her basking spot where the humidity is right down low - just checked and it's 26%. There is no roof to this bit.
I bath her for 10 mins every day and she has a big shallow plant pot tray with water in her enclosure.

I'm really worried that I'm not getting it right (still). Do I need to make more effort to get it humid where she spends her time i.e. under the lamp itself?
(temperatures: 22 degrees (72) at cool end (where it's humid) and 34 degrees (93) under basking spot. A heat mat (waterproof) is on one side of the enclosure, i don't have a thermometer above it)

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Can you enclose the entire space so the humidity cannot escape? Without a closed chamber, you will never get the RH under a basking lamp anywhere near optimal.

lornaB

EXETER
Thanks for replying Sterant

I can certainly try to enclose it all, so you think it's important that the entire thing is humid, it's not enough for her to simply be able to go into the humid area? That's really helpful - thanks!