Humidity levels

Location (City and/or State)
Redwood City
Hi, my name is Omer. A week ago I got my baby hermanns tortoise. Shes really cute and seems healthy as she comes out for food. But lately, shes been hiding in her half log everytime humididty levels drop, which worries me. I've tried misting the enclosure, but only minutes pass until humidity levels drop once again. If her sudden unactiveness is caused by humidity, then it wuld be great if someone could help me, and if not it would be great if someone could help me figure out what this is caused by. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome!

I'll let others offer advice. I'm not a Hermann person.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If the enclosure is open top then you will not be able to keep humidity or heat for that matter steady enough for a baby. Cover the enclosure.
If it is covered then you are not getting enough moisture in there for the temp it is.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Deep, moist substrate is the key for Hermann’s. They are particularly prone to skin nodules from overly humid conditions which is why closed enclosures for them do not work always. Keeping the substrate deep enough (5-6”) and by actually adding water to it (instead of misting) will help. Heat/Lighting should not be overly intense for this species and there should be no nighttime heat source on. These factors will all help and keep in mind that burrowing is 100% normal and should be allowed.
You can find plenty more info on my site HermanniHaven.com