Humidity levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
Which species or class of tortoises require less stringent humidity levels?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All of them need it as babies, but any of the "desert" species will do fine without it as adults. Sulcatas, Leopards, CDTs, Texas torts, Russians, chacos. For indoor housing, most of the Testudo genus do well with just moderate humidity. Greeks, Hermanns, Marginateds, etc...

A humid hide box goes a long way in a dry situation too.

Jharris1385

5 Year Member
For an indoor set up I would not need a misting station of sorts would I? Or primarily just need a moist area(s)..such as water dish and burrow that is slightly damper.?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Depends on species and age. For most species, if you provide a moisture friendly substrate of some sort (like cypress, coco or orchid bark), a water dish, a real humid hide (not an open half log), and spray them shell a couple of times a day. You should be good. This is a gross generality and will vary with species and age. For example: Redfoots need lots of humidity, but they can also be sensitive to shell rot if things are kept too wet too much of the time. Sulcatas and leopards are NOT sensitive to shell rot.

I wrote this for sulcata babies, but I use it, with only minor tweaks, for just about every species.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1Ej7ioBUf

Do you have a species and age in mind? I'd love to be able to give more specific answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.