Humidity question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I plan on using a 50/50 coir/playsand substrate for my Russian tortoise hatchling (although I just read on here that 70/30 is preferred)

I've read conflicting information about the dampness of the substrate. Several websites say to spray the substrate daily so that it is slightly damp. But then I just read a care sheet today that Russians are highly susceptible to shell rot and should be kept in dry enclosures.

Do you keep your substrate damp? How often do you spray it?
Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My Russian pen is outside, however, I built it over an existing driveway. I dug out the decomposed granite and road base but the underlying earth was VERY hard and compacted, plus the top soil layer was thin, over a thick strata of hard pan (calische). So I have to water the pen every other day in order to keep the greenery alive. The Russians go just fine in this moist environment...but my summer temps are hight 90's, low 100's most days. And they hibernate indoors in the winter.

If you keep your Russian indoors, I see no problem with a slightly moist underlayment, with the top layer dry, as long as you don't allow them to become cooled.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It is typically the older care sheets that say they are susceptible to shell rot and not to keep moist substrate. Newer research says that some moisture but not wetness is good (russiantortoise.org is a favorite of mine). Moist substrate can help prevent pyramiding, although Russians are not too susceptible to it. There are some care sheets that are better and more reliable than others.

You may not need to wet the substrate daily; I have heard every other day more likely, and it is dependent on many variables such as ambient humidity and substrate type. I would just not want it to be dry and crumbly, but slightly moist (warm and moist is key, not cold and moist). You don't want it dripping or feeling wet though. The key when spraying is to mix it up so you don't have wet spots. Do this especially under heat sources. Some find it easier to pour water and then mix it up with their hands than spray, as the spray gets a small area and can splatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.