Humidity/respiratory infections

Jenblalock003

Ok soooo here are some facts and this is my question: can too much humidity or wet substrate make a baby sick if:

Temp is never below 83 F (any part of the enclosure)
Substrate is damp literally wet in some spots
Completely enclosed with tin foil
Good diet
High temp during day is 98 (under light) and 85-95 everywhere else
2 soaks a day for 20 min

Has anyone ever known one to get sick from those facts? Can it be too wet even with high temps that don't go below 83 ever?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's always possible. If anyone were to say it wasn't, I don't think would be giving very good advice. However, assuming you are using reputable gauges for reading temps and humidity, it's less likely from these recommended housing conditions. Tom, who has wrote the threads below in my post, have housed many with the higher 80% humidity and higher temps 80 24/7 with great success.
Keep in mind, the housing and care conditions of your tort, before you got him can play a big part on his condition even after you get him in the proper set up.

Jenblalock003

TortCrazy said:
I raise my little sulcatas with heat and humidity - never had one get sick.

I was just wandering bc one of the babies, Ninja, was making a weird sound, kind of like a clicking-ish noise? But he was soaking at the time. Also I saw bubbles from his nose, but again he had just finished soaking and I was drying him off. He's still eating and when I put him bk in his tank he was moving around a lot so maybe I'm just worried like always. I'll keep an eye out though. In the meantime we completely removed all old substrate and put new substrate. And the thermometer is accurate...so just wondering. Thank you everyone!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Ninja is probably okay. Like you said, just keep an eye out for persistent symptoms. Torts will get a slightly runny nose during and right after a soak, and sometimes when they are stressed. Other members have mentioned the clicking noise, but it is not something that I am familiar with.

EarlsAdventure

The clicking noise is most likely him/her sharpening it's "beak". Very common and normal. Next time you hear it, check to see if it's jaws are moving at the same time. If so, everything is ok.