Humidity - summary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks to all who have put up posts. I've been onto a few other people and forums and made some progress. Here's a brief summary:

Hermanns' essentially are a dry species but they tolerate and maybe even like more humidity than other Med species.
The main area for them should be dry but they should have access to a place that's more humid.
Hermanns must not be kept on a damp substrate as this could cause plastron rot. If it is going to be cold, do not let it be wet as well.
Ideally the top layer of their substrate would be dry with a damper layer they can dig down to if they want - not easy to do indoors.

A very experienced Hermann breeder says he keeps his around 50-60% humidity when indoors and provides an area of approx 70% humidity they can seek out if they want. Most keepers won't commit to any numbers in humidity preferring to say it should be mainly dry but not completely dry and they must have access to water.

A hair hygrometer is needed for a decent reading of humidity, its said the cheap digital ones are not much good. A hair hygrometer can be bought for £15 ($30). This is accuarte and you calibrate it yourself easily.

Ways to raise the humidity if its too low:
make a hide for them with damp material either within or it on top of a porous roof.
Plant into the substrate.
Have some turf (growing grass in soil) on your table and keep this moist enough for it to live.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Ozric, that's a pretty good summary. Hermann's definitely do like more humidty in their environment when compared to other species of Mediterranean tortoises and females especially should be soaked atleast 2 times a week. For juvenile females I soak them 3 or 4 times a week. I do not used humid hides and never will again, but I have in the past with ok results. For hatchlings, I soak them atleast 4 times a week. Here in NJ my hermann's receive plenty of humidty outdoors and that is why it is important that they are kept on well drained soil. Indoors, I keep them very dry and use the soaking method plus the occasional spray down using a large water spray bottle. I also do not keep water dishes in their enclosures, and never will.

It sounds like you have the basic idea so good luck.

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Chris I'm so glad you put that on!

I think my indoor set-up has maybe been a bit on the dry side but I won't be making any drastic changes.

Outdoors too much moisture could be the problem here - rain! I'm doing more work on my outdoor facilities ready for the warmer weather. I'll be making sure the torts can get to totally dry places when they want.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Sounds good. Definitely be sure to provide them with an all dry area. Last summer some of my pens almost flooded because we had so much rain and I had to bring a load of tortoises indoors for a few days. Generally the rain will not harm them even in larger amounts, its when the temperature drops that a problem could arise.

Many of my hermann's especially my Thh will come out when it rains and drink from puddles and graze. Some will also stretch out as if they are basking in it.

Cheryl

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
HermanniChris said:
Indoors, I keep them very dry and use the soaking method plus the occasional spray down using a large water spray bottle. I also do not keep water dishes in their enclosures, and never will.

Can I ask why you don't keep water dishes in their enclosures? I currently don't keep one in there but was thinking about adding one.

I soak Harriett daily and she's 8 months old, is that to much?

I also spray her enclosure a few times a week and turn the substrate over, should I do that less? Maybe once a week or something?

Thanks

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Ozric I've been following your posts and trying to understand or even accept some of your responses and replies. You have been given answers to all of your Q?'s.. and you have analized until you are paralized and you claim that the set-up has been a little(?) dry.. yet you don't plan to make any drastic changes.

I admit I missed the part about your 3.5 year old Hermann's being only.. what was it 52mm SCL? That even makes it worse!

So I guess I'll be the bad guy and ask.. if it's obvious changes need to be made based on the size and condition of the carapace.. and the lack of humidity is a factor - based on those that have kept, raised and bred them for who knows how many years - if you don't intend to make any "drastic" changes.. just what changes do you intend to make? Because the health and longevity of your tortoise depends on it.

If you view this as a personal attack.. you've missed the whole point.

Terry

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
HermanniChris said:
Ozric, that's a pretty good summary. Hermann's definitely do like more humidty in their environment when compared to other species of Mediterranean tortoises and females especially should be soaked atleast 2 times a week. For juvenile females I soak them 3 or 4 times a week. I do not used humid hides and never will again, but I have in the past with ok results. For hatchlings, I soak them atleast 4 times a week. Here in NJ my hermann's receive plenty of humidty outdoors and that is why it is important that they are kept on well drained soil. Indoors, I keep them very dry and use the soaking method plus the occasional spray down using a large water spray bottle. I also do not keep water dishes in their enclosures, and never will.

It sounds like you have the basic idea so good luck.

Hi Chris,

How come you don't use humid hides or water dishes? I notice alot a people talk about humid hides.

I always appreciate your insight with things.

thanks

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm sure Chris will answer for himslef when he gets the time, but I know some people don't use water dishes in enclosures because of the danger of drowning. Also it does create a lot of extra mess and requires a lot of attention because of the evaporation.

I believe that hydration is more important for hatchlings and juveniles. What I do is to offer water in a small dish, and if refused take it away. I also provide soakings a few times per week. Once I started to monitor the humidity outdoors, I found its often really quite high where I live, so its only an issue for me indoors now.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
I use a small water dish for my baby greeks. It has step so it makes it easy for them to get out. I soak them daily.

I almost had fatal accident with Hermann tipped over in the water dish. I don't use a water for them now but I normally spray them each day and soak them 3 times a week.

I tried using a himid hide but all my torts avoid it and go to the other dry hide. I'm thinking of adding wheat grass in their indoor enclosures.

Status
Not open for further replies.