Humidity too low in the hot end

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello! I’m really having trouble with keeping the humidity up in one of my Indian star tortoises’ enclosures (the other one is using a mister to keep it up while her new cage comes in so she’s ok.) The humidity in her cool end is at a pretty consistent 80% now, but in the hot end, which is kept at about 92-93 degrees, I can’t ever seem to get it above 60% or 70% right after spraying it down. I’ve moved her water bowl to Under the heat lamp and put a lot of sphagnum moss along the side, but I still can’t get it to 80%. Is it just normal to have the hot end at a lower humidity? Or is there something I can do to raise it more? I’m worried that I may be seeing the beginning of some pyramiding on her and while I know that’s inevitable with star tortoises I didn’t think it would be so soon :( thanks to everyone for any help!

Relic

Here
Pictures of your set-up will provide a lot of useful information...

Texas
Pictures of your set-up will provide a lot of useful information...
Oh of course! I should’ve included those haha sorry. Here’s her current setup. It’s 36 x 18 x 18 (will be upgrading to something much bigger in a few years), 93 degrees in the hot end and mid 80s in the cool

Attachments

• B384A368-5727-4974-A488-A07AB5AC51DA.jpeg
    B384A368-5727-4974-A488-A07AB5AC51DA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • 49252022-F6B0-4070-9164-AA5970D259CB.jpeg
    49252022-F6B0-4070-9164-AA5970D259CB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68

Relic

Here
Looks like a very nice set-up. I see condensation on the glass, so there is some good humidity going on at that end. Is it a screen top? Are your humidity readings at "tortoise level?" Are you using a good hygrometer? Maybe tighten-up any possible air leaks to keep the moisture inside. I'm not sure I would be super concerned at this point, just fine tune things a bit. I'd love to have a star...

Texas
Looks like a very nice set-up. I see condensation on the glass, so there is some good humidity going on at that end. Is it a screen top? Are your humidity readings at "tortoise level?" Are you using a good hygrometer? Maybe tighten-up any possible air leaks to keep the moisture inside. I'm not sure I would be super concerned at this point, just fine tune things a bit. I'd love to have a star...
Thank you! It is a screen top but I’ve covered it in plastic wrap to contain more humidity. I thought of possibly completely covering it over at the hot end, but I was worried that might decrease airflow too much and cause mold :/ I have a pretty good hygrometer, my cool end humidity is 80 and the hot end is usually 60 but will rise to 70 briefly right after I spray it down. I thought adding the moss might help retain more humidity over there but it really didn’t help much. I’m mostly just worried that when she’s in the hot end the lower humidity could be bad (And you should get one! They’re so cute I just absolutely love them, and Shellbea has a great personality!)

Relic

Here
You WANT to decrease the airflow - that's the culprit carrying away your precious moisture. As your heat lamp (or CHE) heats the mosit air, it naturally rises...right out of the enclosure, as cooler, drier air is drawn in to replace it. There are lots of threads on this site explaining exactly how to set up a closed system that will maintain humidity but not cause mold. Just do a search of "closed chamber" on here, get a cup of tea, and sit back and read...more information than you can shake a stick at...good luck.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Ur not gonna get mold in a glass tank with the right substrate.. u can use tin foil on the side withe the light and cover completely. Ull get airflow every time u open to feed and soak.

Texas
You WANT to decrease the airflow - that's the culprit carrying away your precious moisture. As your heat lamp (or CHE) heats the mosit air, it naturally rises...right out of the enclosure, as cooler, drier air is drawn in to replace it. There are lots of threads on this site explaining exactly how to set up a closed system that will maintain humidity but not cause mold. Just do a search of "closed chamber" on here, get a cup of tea, and sit back and read...more information than you can shake a stick at...good luck.
Ok, I’ll try that then! Thank you so much for your help. I did have a problem with mold using eco earth coconut fiber and cypress mulch mixed before and had been looking to more airflow as a fix, but I think I’ve gotten that under control by stirring the substrate every few days. @Chubbs the tegu thank you very much for your response as well! I’ll try adding some more substrate as well