Humidity vs outdoors???

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi I have a 4 month old leo who is doing very well! I keep her outside during the day ( I'm in Utah). I am concerned that the dry heat here is going to be bad for her health/shell?? At night I bring her inside and house her in a closed top aquarium that is approx. 50% Humidity. Her shell right now is very hard and has no signs of pyramiding. Is there a certain age where we can not worry about humidity as much???

Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is your tortoise growing? Are you keeping track of the weight? I can't imagine you are getting smooth growth, or much growth at all with those conditions. I wouldn't house a 4 month old baby that way. I did in the past, and it didn't work out too well.

Pyramiding occurs with growth in conditions that are too dry. If your tortoise is growing and conditions are dry, you can get pyramiding. Sleeping with some moderate humidity seems to help keep older ones smooth.

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
I just got her about 3 weeks ago @Tom. I thought outdoors was best for a tortoise?? I have her outside on days that I'm home which is about 4 days a week and only while the Sun is hot enough then I bring her back inside. How much time outside would you recommend?? and at what age do you decrease humidity?? I'm pretty sure she's growing. The white in her shell is growing. this first pic is the day I got her. 3 wks ago. And the second pic is today. thanks for your help!
20140613_230034.jpg

Attachments

• 20140528_123117.jpg
    20140528_123117.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 20

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
I re read your care sheet and found my answer. Thanks