Humidity - You all were right....I was wrong....

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
Hello everyone. I posted pictures of my tort table a few weeks back and several of you suggested a cover. It's not that I didn't listen but since this enormous table is part of my bedroom I really wanted to keep the open top. You were right about what a struggle it was going to be to keep the humidity levels up high enough for my first tort: a Cherryhead hatchling. I am averaging only 70% and at times it dips lower.
As one person suggested - with the A/C or Heater on, it doesn't matter that I live in humid Florida. Having with turned on zaps all the moisture out of the air.
I purchased a humidifier this week and just got my distilled water and 1 5/8 X 1 1/4 Clear Tubing from Lowe's. We're going to rig that up tomorrow and I have Plexiglass for the top of the table. There will be about 12" that will still be open to accomodate the light, but the other 6 1/2' of the table will be covered.
Hopefully this will solve all my humidity woes.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
How exciting....please let us know how it works out :D

There will be about 12" that will still be open to accomodate the light, but the other 6 1/2' of the table will be covered.

I have one suggestion :)D) you may want to plan to measure down the length of the 6 1/2 to about the middle and also plan an opening for a low watt CHE or black night light to make sure that since you are bumping entire enclosure humidity that the furthest darkest corner does not become a cold wet place, you know what I mean? Or perhaps even bury a heated cable in the furthest area?? Just thought I would share as this popped in my head after I hit the post on my last...

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
yeah i had this problem. i found some thick plastic and attached it with Velcro for easy access. plexiglass was too expensive for me :p i agree with the previous advice, check your temps...anything below 80 and wet may be too cool.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with ascott. You don't want a humid and cold tortoise, that equals a sick tortoise.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Use this as your model - http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

You can modify as needed!

Quite frankly I would start with a much smaller tub for a hatchling redfoot.. and eventually he / they will grow into that table. You could save that big cover for later.. and it would be much easier to manage a smaller enclosure.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for lots of space - lets keep it simple for now.. huh? huh?

Let us know please...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Terryo is best for the plants.. no doubt!

I was showing how to configure the lighting/heat-emitter. It can be done with the "clear-type" cover...

RedFootMom

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
Use this as your model - http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm

You can modify as needed!

Quite frankly I would start with a much smaller tub for a hatchling redfoot.. and eventually he / they will grow into that table. You could save that big cover for later.. and it would be much easier to manage a smaller enclosure.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for lots of space - lets keep it simple for now.. huh? huh?

Let us know please...

I completely get what you're saying. I'm in so deep with this tort table investment. I'm a bit obsessed with making it perfect for Scarlett. I'm going to order the waterproof heated rope from big apple herps because I am concerned of the cooler side temps now that we're getting some winter weather.
If I can't get it together with the ropes, thermostat, humidifier and top cover I will definitely take your advice and go smaller.