humidity

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I just recently started, I did take him to the vet and they said everything was fine but he was dehydrated.
That's don't often give you the right information unfortunately. They still think your type of tortoise is a dry species and should be kept that way. If they are kept dry they will die. But you found the right place for the information and your tortoise will be happy about it. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
I made a Fogger from a Crane humidifier. Works great, you can adjust the humidity, and it's super quiet.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426428164.114550.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426428178.998393.jpg

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome and try not to be discouraged. Once you get things set up correctly it will be fine. Don't listen to the pet stores. Most things can be bought at the hardware stores.

Demi J

Okay guys I bought the items everyone suggested. The tank is getting hot from the PowerSun bulb. Since it provides heat, do I still need the heat emitter? How long should I leave each of these bulbs on for a day? I changed his bedding to the loose coconut fiber substrate and he seems to enjoy it. He's out walking around more than with his previous bedding. I've attached a picture to give you guys a visual. I'm not going to get him a bigger tank as of right now. But I will eventually. Thank You :)speedy 3.jpg speedy 4.jpg

Last edited:

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Okay guys I bought the items everyone suggested. The tank is getting hot from the PowerSun bulb. Since it provides heat, do I still need the heat emitter? How long should I leave each of these bulbs on for a day? I changed his bedding to the loose coconut fiber substrate and he seems to enjoy it. He's out walking around more than with his previous bedding. I've attached a picture to give you guys a visual. I'm not going to get him a bigger tank as of right now. But I will eventually. Thank You :)View attachment 122170 View attachment 122171
pour water on the substrate so its moist, thats how you get humidity int eh cage. how warm is it in the enclosure? i use ceramic heat emitter for night time so the tempos don't go below 80. if the temps go below 80 the tort can get a respiratory infection.

Demi J

pour water on the substrate so its moist, thats how you get humidity int eh cage. how warm is it in the enclosure? i use ceramic heat emitter for night time so the tempos don't go below 80. if the temps go below 80 the tort can get a respiratory infection.

How many hors a day am I suppose to leave each light on? What thermometer do you recommend? And how much water should I pour onto the substrate?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
How many hors a day am I suppose to leave each light on? What thermometer do you recommend? And how much water should I pour onto the substrate?
i leave my torts lights on around 12-14 hours a day. I just use an ole thermometer i found in my shed, @Jacqui will know. pour water onto the substrate till its moist but if you squeeze the substrate together water wont come out. also pat down the substrate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think the digital thermometers are they way to go, then you can check readings every where.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I know it's not easy, but this enclosure doesn't look big enough to me. Torts need more space than this to be happy. My Tidgy would be deeply unhappy confined to such a small area. I understand it's expensive to buy a bigger tank, but if you look at the enclosure section on this forum, there are some good ideas of how to make a nice large enclosure cheaply.
And I would put cardboard, or paint over the glass at the bottom of the tank so the tortoise can't see through, otherwise it will try to get through the glass 'til the cows come home and get stressed.
Sorry to be a misery, but 'tis small for a tortoise in my opinion