Humidity???

Tortoise04

Location (City and/or State)
Europe
I have been confused about my indoor tortoise enclosures humidity recently. I have an open table and the humidity is usually from 50% to 65% what should the humidity be for my horsefields

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome!

Please keep in mind that tortoises, especially Russians, are solitary, territorial creatures that should not be kept in pairs. Yours need to be separated.

Also keep in mind that, as adults, they will both require a minimum of an 8x4 enclosure.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome!

Please keep in mind that tortoises, especially Russians, are solitary, territorial creatures that should not be kept in pairs. Yours need to be separated.

Also keep in mind that, as adults, they will both require a minimum of an 8x4 enclosure.

Wait, unless they aren’t being kept together?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
With a thick layer of damp substrate and a humid hide available, 50-65% humidity in an open table should be fine for a Russian tortoise.

Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Groups of juveniles can sometimes get along, but not pairs.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the Forum!! The humidity you have is fine for your little Russian tortoises.
Hello Yvonne, I googled about Russian and Horsefield tortoises. Are they the same, similar or is the four toed Horsefield only considered Russian.
Just for my knowledge then some day I will become a EXPERT like you,Will,Tom,TechnoCheese,Wellington,Vladimir and so on.
Just a joke I know you all don't consider yourself experts.:D:D:D

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hello Yvonne, I googled about Russian and Horsefield tortoises. Are they the same, similar or is the four toed Horsefield only considered Russian.
Just for my knowledge then some day I will become a EXPERT like you,Will,Tom,TechnoCheese,Wellington,Vladimir and so on.
Just a joke I know you all don't consider yourself experts.:D:D:D

All the same tortoise! = Russian, Horsfield's, Four toed Tortoise, Steppe Tortoise, Central Asian Tortoise. All popular names for the same tortoise = Agrionemys horsfieldii

There currently are five subspecies recognized. The most widespread and the one we see here in the US is the A. horsfieldii kazachstanica. Uzbekistan export quotas are listed as 30,000 "ranched" and 40,000 wild caught annually. Pet stores in the US still predominantly sell the imported tortoises vs. captive bred.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
All the same tortoise! = Russian, Horsfield's, Four toed Tortoise, Steppe Tortoise, Central Asian Tortoise. All popular names for the same tortoise = Agrionemys horsfieldii

There currently are five subspecies recognized. The most widespread and the one we see here in the US is the A. horsfieldii kazachstanica. Uzbekistan export quotas are listed as 30,000 "ranched" and 40,000 wild caught annually. Pet stores in the US still predominantly sell the imported tortoises vs. captive bred.
Thanks Mark very informative.