Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hi everyone :) I have a query about humidity. I understand humidity for a redfoot has to be over 70%??? Looking at my viv I would think my humidity would be high as there is always water\condensation on the glass doors asand surrounding walls. However, when I read the humidity meter that I've got-small gage Exo-terra. It reads 60% at the moment and I've moved it to different areas and it still reads the same. So, I've purchased a digital one that has a probe to put through the back of the viv which presently reads 51%! I'm really worried because you'd think all the condensation it would be higher and i know humidity is very important. I put the soak/water tray near to the basking/heat lamp and spray regularly. i use orchid bark as a substrate. What am I doing wrong ??? I can't imagine the viv being any wetter than what it is! The temperature in the middle of the viv is 83f and the hottest part is 96f??? Is the meter wrong? Am I measuring the right humidity a third of the way up his viv?? The humidity in our room is 52% lol and to put your head in his viv it's unbelievably humid! Please help :( Sam
View attachment 589

abclements

5 Year Member
I would throw your humidity gauge on the substrate down where alan is. Thats where I've been told to measure humidity. It will increase your measured humidity quite a significant amount. Ive also been told that if you have foggy glass, you've got a good amount of humidity.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
abclements said:
I would throw your humidity gauge on the substrate down where alan is. Thats where I've been told to measure humidity. It will increase your measured humidity quite a significant amount. Ive also been told that if you have foggy glass, you've got a good amount of humidity.

I'll try it! I'm totally baffled by it all lol...his heat lamp has gone off and the humidity is reading 50% on the digital one and 52% on the gage! This is way too low but the windows are still wet ...

abclements

5 Year Member
Im in the same boat. Mine wont read over 70, even after ive done everything i can to boost the humidity. Even when it feels like a sauna in there... i think you are fine. But hopefully somebody else that knows more than I, chimes in...

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
abclements said:
Im in the same boat. Mine wont read over 70, even after ive done everything i can to boost the humidity. Even when it feels like a sauna in there... i think you are fine. But hopefully somebody else that knows more than I, chimes in...

I tried it on the ground-the small gage and it read 30% :( .....thanks for trying to help me :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. They don't NEED 70% or some other specific number of humidity, they just need enough to off-set the fact that they do not retain body water levels as well as arid species. If your tort's eyes look good, you are probably OK.

2. Condensation is a sign that warm moist air is touching a colder surface. The moisture on the glass USED to be humidity but isn't anymore. You can have condensation at fairly low humidity levels in some situations.

3. The most effective humidity is that which either rises up past the tortoise as the warm, humid air rises, or humidity that settles around the tortoise (which is usually the cooler mists, which does not always help temp-wise.) A substrate that lets water collect in the bottom, then rise as humidity past both the tortoise and a dry surface layer is usually helpful.

4. The top has to be almost completely covered to help humidity build and collect, otherwise it rides on the warm air up and out.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
Madkins007 said:
1. They don't NEED 70% or some other specific number of humidity, they just need enough to off-set the fact that they do not retain body water levels as well as arid species. If your tort's eyes look good, you are probably OK.

2. Condensation is a sign that warm moist air is touching a colder surface. The moisture on the glass USED to be humidity but isn't anymore. You can have condensation at fairly low humidity levels in some situations.

3. The most effective humidity is that which either rises up past the tortoise as the warm, humid air rises, or humidity that settles around the tortoise (which is usually the cooler mists, which does not always help temp-wise.) A substrate that lets water collect in the bottom, then rise as humidity past both the tortoise and a dry surface layer is usually helpful.

4. The top has to be almost completely covered to help humidity build and collect, otherwise it rides on the warm air up and out.

Thanks Madkins! This makes sense :) cheers sam

Status
Not open for further replies.