humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
How can I keep the humidity level UP for my new Red-foot??? I need to build him a new enclosure, right now he's in a 2 x 3 foot enclosure. I have covered one side with something to try to lock in the moisture a bit better, for now. But it's hard to keep the humidity in the room up because it's a first floor open floorplan so not a closed in room. I've been keeping the substrate (bed a beast) moist... and misting in there. but my humidity gauge thingy is saying about 45% - it' says 70% after I mist then it drops down again after a short time, even with everything still damp. Does it sound like that's okay anyway???

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Try covering most of the enclosure with plexiglass?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
hmmmm.... where would I find that? LOL most of the stuff I use for the torts, i've scrounged from my basement or garage! ROFL! Well I'll see what I can come up with! And then when I make her a larger enclosure, I'll try to get a cover on it somehow! since they need the humidity, wouldn't a huge aquarium be okay? (not that I have one of those, anyway...)

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
No aquarium! ;) Plexiglass is relatively cheap at Home Depot/Lowes/Menards.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I'll have a look at Menards, since I want to get some wood to build a bigger enclosure for her! :)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Kelly, If you take a measurement of the size of plexiglass you need, most of the time they will cut it for you. It also comes in different thicknesses. So if you go with a thinner piece, it will be less expensive. Just make sure if you go with the thinner piece that it is rigid enough to span your space.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jlyoncc1 said:
Just make sure if you go with the thinner piece that it is rigid enough to span your space.

Or that your able to build some sort of support out of wood for it :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
cvalda said:
How can I keep the humidity level UP for my new Red-foot??? I need to build him a new enclosure, right now he's in a 2 x 3 foot enclosure. I have covered one side with something to try to lock in the moisture a bit better, for now. But it's hard to keep the humidity in the room up because it's a first floor open floorplan so not a closed in room. I've been keeping the substrate (bed a beast) moist... and misting in there. but my humidity gauge thingy is saying about 45% - it' says 70% after I mist then it drops down again after a short time, even with everything still damp. Does it sound like that's okay anyway???

Kelly since redfoot tortoises come from a different hemisphere / continent / flora [ rainforest, Amazon jungle, etc. ] than all the other torts I've seen here.. they need a different EVERYTHING!

And I don't know how old / big he is. If he's 4" or less he could live in that size for another year.. although I believe the bigger the better. If you want to go bigger.. 2x6 for example.. a bookcase works great! [ rectangle is much better than 'square' ] Not to insult your intelligence.. lay it on it's back.. remove shelves.. and line it like we show in link below. They are usually about a foot 'deep' which is the perfect height for light and heat emitter [ if needed ]. And it can be covered with plexiglass.

Go here for ideas on "Everything".. based on age.. http://www.redfoots.com/redfoot.htm

Bed-a-beast will absorb moisture to the point of saturation.. which has been known to enhance fungus which could lead to shell-rot.

Read the Housing and Diet pages.. and then if you have Q? just ask...:D

Have ya'll learned anything?

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.