Hungry Red Foots after morning soak :)

AntM

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, if it’s not feel free to move or take down and I apologize.

Prepared some Kale, zucchini, and a little Papaya for them today.

I’m trying to find some Mulberry, Hibiscus, and prickly pear cactus that hasn’t been grown with pesticides all over Miami but to no avail so far :( If anyone around me has any suggestions or knows where to locate some that would be awesome.

Attachments

• 512B94E0-65D8-456F-B49A-680C86C097D6.jpeg
    512B94E0-65D8-456F-B49A-680C86C097D6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • AC11860A-A975-4224-A95E-9F835CA810FC.jpeg
    AC11860A-A975-4224-A95E-9F835CA810FC.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should buy a hibiscus bush or tree along with a cactus plant or two and grow them. Should be easy in Miami.
You can even take a cactus pad, cut a portion of the bottom off and plant in ground.

AntM

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Miami, FL
Hey @wellington thanks for the reply. I’ve driven around to several nurseries around me and stores like Home Depot. Found some hibiscus bushes and ended up buying 4 the other day. But… reading on here about pesticides worried me a bit. So I called Costa Farms, where Home Depot gets the majority of their nursery plants from and they DO use systemic pesticides on all the plants. So was pretty bummed that I have 4 hibiscus bushes here that I really can’t use :/

I did end up just planting them in a space behind one of my wife’s gardens so maybe a year or so down the road they’ll be safe to use.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They should be safe in about 6 months as long as you don't add any, which obviously you wouldn't. At least you will have future foods.
If you have a Mexican based grocery store or a whole foods, you might find cactus. Even if you dont see any ask. I was able to get some years ago from whole foods but I had to ask and they ordered them.
Then take a few of those, cut the bottom 1/4 or so off, feed that and plant the cut half in an area the torts can't get too. They will take a while but you will have future food growing.
As for Mulberry leaves, a couple members usually have extra they will make a thread about. As for trees, they are usually bought up in the spring, but you could ask a nursery to order you one.
This way you will have all this food for next year at least.

AntM

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Miami, FL
@wellington ill run to the Whole Foods by me tomorrow morning! And I’ll definitely keep an eye out on the forum.

Appreciate the help :)