Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bakersfield, California
My hubby is getting deployed by the insurance company he works for, to help with hurricane Irene insurance claims. He is a catastrophe adjuster. For hurricane Katrina and Rita he was gone 8 months. We are used to it though, he has been doing it for years. Still kinda tough on the kiddos.

He is leaving Tuesday, so our house in in total upheaval. UGH!

He always takes a quilt or two that I have made and all the clothes our children have out grown. Last time he met a great family and they took really good care of my husband and invited him to all their family functions, it was great. The family had lost everything, and yet made sure my husband was ok! We still keep in touch with them today!

Hang in there help will be there soon!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
catastrophes are one reason why I would not want to work for an insurance company, I think I would become overwhelmed.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
David, he does. When he works for State Farm they have people avail to talk if you need to. It's hard especially when he comes across a family that is just like ours. Most everyone is wonderful, they have nothing left, yet they worry about my husband and make sure he is fed. It's awesome and does remind you there are still alot of nice people out there. That's why we try to give back. He always leaves with the back of his expedition loaded with stuff to give out.

He has seen some crazy stuff and has some funny stories to tell.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
maybe he should write a book

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Thanks Angela. I am so serious about that, really!! :p

Flight plans set, working on a rental car now. We have been washing his winter clothes, kinda weird to be worried about winter clothes when it's 104F outside!! He is going to have to fly this time rather than drive. Kinda of a bummer!

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Erin, as of Friday it was Virgina, but I am sure that will change. He should have a better idea on Monday. He worked Isabella in 2003 and was mostly in Virgina, so he is slightly familiar with the area. He is like a little kid right now that ate too much candy! Ping ponging off the walls, checking his stuff and rechecking, I already told him once it wasn't going any where with out him. :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Erin, I don't know if you will see this but he is flying into Newpost News and then going to their office in Williamsburg. Don't know if that is near anyone?

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Hmmm, I don't know where that is. I suspect he is flying into the worst of it. We got some damage here in CT but nothing compared to other part's of the northeast. I hope he has safe travel's & is able to help lot's of people!!

I love how people come together after a tragedy! Rob was running around our neighborhood helping clear debri and everyone was out checking on each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.