Hurricane season 2020 is here

Melissacoop

Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines, FL
Hurricane season kicks off today.
I have much better shutters this year than I have had in previous years.
I have my 65 gallons of stabilized hurricane fuel .(I bought it at the start of the COVID-19 outbreak. Thinking it'd become hard to find and it cost me an extra $1 a gallon.)
I also had my privacy fence reinforced with new, extra posts.
I'm in south Florida.
East coast.
What plans have you made so far?
I bought water! Lol

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
So glad they're ok (cramped, but ok). How about other things n your property? Did most else survive the storm?

Can you still send mulberry leaves if I pay postage?

Yea most of everything is okay. Yea I have plenty of mulberry leaves. The only problem is I am still waiting on legal registration for my store to get a paypal account. Is it okay if send you some in a week or so? Sorry for the wait. I can throw in some grape vine leaves and rose pedals if you want.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Yea most of everything is okay. Yea I have plenty of mulberry leaves. The only problem is I am still waiting on legal registration for my store to get a paypal account. Is it okay if send you some in a week or so? Sorry for the wait. I can throw in some grape vine leaves and rose pedals if you want.

That would be terrific!

I went into business with someone else and instead of getting all tangled up in creating a business account with PayPal, we use my personal account that was already in existence. It was a lot less complicated and we haven't had any problems or anyone question it. The only thing that barely even borders on confusion is if I buy something for personal use through the account, in which case we just keep that amount posted in the personal column of the ledgers.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is I'd be happy to send to a personal account you or your parents have and you could just chalk it up to "non-business related" until you have all that stuff set up.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I bought water! Lol
Everyone buys water.
But we've never had a boil water issue....And if we did, were surrounded by it.
My wife has a huge stash out in the garage.
It makes her feel better.
Me, I buy batteries.....

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Had a power outage this afternoon/evening that brought to my attention just how out of practice I am with the hurricane (or maybe non-hurricane) preparation stuff.
  • I discovered two LED lanterns that need new batteries. There's probably a third one I should add to that list.
  • I don't remember the last time I charged up my portable, emergency phone chargers. I *think* I know where they are. The backpack is a good possibility.
  • I don't remember the last time I cleaned out my backpack. I don't know that it's a problem, exactly, but there's room for making some interesting... discoveries... along the way.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Well, I dont have hurricanes, but we do some similar things for our tornado season here in Oklahoma. We've had it fairly mild these last 2 years so I'm worried we are coming up on a big one...
We've got water, a wind up radio, plenty of stocked up canned food, go bags with some basic things for us and the animals, blankets, pocket knives, etc. I'm sure its somewhat similar, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately a lot of things can happen even if your in a shelter too...

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The good news is that my neighbor with the antiquated Briggs engined generator is getting a new generator.
The bad news is she wants me to get her one.....And she'll pay me back.
She's chronically penniless.
So it looks like a gift situation.
I'm going to get her a 4,350 watt PREDATOR from Harbor Freight. They have a Honda clone engine and a decent design.
I'll be doing all of the yearly maintenance on it anyway.
I'll report back what I think about it.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The good news is that my neighbor with the antiquated Briggs engined generator is getting a new generator.
I'm going to get her a 4,350 watt PREDATOR from Harbor Freight. They have a Honda clone engine and a decent design.
You're a great guy, you know. Your neighbors are lucky to have you.

So are we, for that matter.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Thats super nice of you! Lots of good karma headed you way!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Had a power outage this afternoon/evening that brought to my attention just how out of practice I am with the hurricane (or maybe non-hurricane) preparation stuff.
  • I discovered two LED lanterns that need new batteries. There's probably a third one I should add to that list.
  • I don't remember the last time I charged up my portable, emergency phone chargers. I *think* I know where they are. The backpack is a good possibility.
  • I don't remember the last time I cleaned out my backpack. I don't know that it's a problem, exactly, but there's room for making some interesting... discoveries... along the way.
Yea. Me too. I'm so bad. It's all chores I'm really bad about getting her done. But will do.?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Everyone buys water.
But we've never had a boil water issue....And if we did, were surrounded by it.
My wife has a huge stash out in the garage.
It makes her feel better.
Me, I buy batteries.....
When I get new things that take batteries I want AA or AAA. Only thing on a different battery is the feeder in the chicken coop it is one of the kind hunters put out to attract game. It uses the big square old school batteries but last for months

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
When I get new things that take batteries I want AA or AAA. Only thing on a different battery is the feeder in the chicken coop it is one of the kind hunters put out to attract game. It uses the big square old school batteries but last for months
You mean those old style 6 volt lantern batteries?
They do last a long time

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
The neighbors cat was mauled by two loose Pit Bull type dogs.
I did end up gifting her the generator and wheel kit.
Those Predator generators from Harbor Freight are pretty impressive for the price.
I got the 4,350 kw
(3,500 running watt) for $329 with a $50 off coupon. The handle/wheel kit ads another $29 and has no coupon I can find seems like a very handy addition.
I didn't take a photo.
But I was impressed for that money.
Hopefully shell spend the money on a vet for her cat.
He doesn't look so good.
The dogs are owned by a police officer that rents a house down the street.
Hopefully he'll step up.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
You mean those old style 6 volt lantern batteries?
They do last a long time
These are probably 5 or 6 years old and run on three AA batteries. You pull the top of the lantern up, and the LED lights inside turn on when you raise the top. They have a couple rectangular folding handles attached to the top.

My other half just discovered why one of them is not working. It's that pesky "why you're not supposed to store batteries in devices in Florida if you don't use them on a frequent, regular basis" reason. Corrosion.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
The neighbors cat was mauled by two loose Pit Bull type dogs.
I did end up gifting her the generator and wheel kit.
Those Predator generators from Harbor Freight are pretty impressive for the price.
I got the 4,350 kw
(3,500 running watt) for $329 with a $50 off coupon. The handle/wheel kit ads another $29 and has no coupon I can find seems like a very handy addition.
I didn't take a photo.
But I was impressed for that money.
Hopefully shell spend the money on a vet for her cat.
He doesn't look so good.
The dogs are owned by a police officer that rents a house down the street.
Hopefully he'll step up.
Gosh, I hope so.