Hurricane season begins tomorrow

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
North Florida
Everyone near U.S. coastal areas good luck.
Hopefully we'll all get through another season with our health.
(And our roofs)
I have steel storm panels this year.
Has anyone else upgraded?
No upgrades for me. Unfortunately, anything stronger than a tropical storm means I have to evacuate. Indoor "zoo" and all.

I'm getting tired of this yearly evacuation thing. I want a year off!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Funny... That's how I feel about earthquake prone places like southern California. ;)
That is silly. In all my years, there has only been one quake that did any damage and that was the Northridge quake back in '94. There was damage to some roads and buildings near the epicenter, but my house, at about 20 miles away had no damage at all. We have little quakes from time to time, but usually you can't even feel them. If they happen at night most people sleep right through them. So in almost half a century of living here, one quake damaged some buildings and roads 20 miles from my house, and you compare that to an annual emergency evacuation due to storms that literally rip the roof off your house and flood everything for miles. Hmm... That's not logical Captain Kirk.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
That is silly. In all my years, there has only been one quake that did any damage and that was the Northridge quake back in '94. There was damage to some roads and buildings near the epicenter, but my house, at about 20 miles away had no damage at all. We have little quakes from time to time, but usually you can't even feel them. If they happen at night most people sleep right through them. So in almost half a century of living here, one quake damaged some buildings and roads 20 miles from my house, and you compare that to an annual emergency evacuation due to storms that literally rip the roof off your house and flood everything for miles. Hmm... That's not logical Captain Kirk.
And it only killed 2 people the same number O.J., and he is free now

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, but according to the naysayers, the next one will drop the L.A. area off into the Pacific!!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is fun. In an earthquake you run outside because the building you are in may fall on you and kill you.
In a hurricane you run inside because the wind and flood may hurt or drown you.
A flat, cast concrete roof is great in a hurricane. But NOT in an earthquake. Hmmmmm.
It all depends on a lot of possible circumstances. Too bad there is not an earthquake Season so we can get ready.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't beat southern Arizona! No hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes. Nice dry heat.

Shirt and shorts weather all year round.
Yeah its great if you don't mind dealing with illegally invading hordes from another country that no one seems to want to stop...

I love AZ. Its currently number one on my list of states to move to. Constitutional carry!!! FL is number 2, and GA is looking better all the time, except for those damn cold winters...

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
This is fun. In an earthquake you run outside because the building you are in may fall on you and kill you.
In a hurricane you run inside because the wind and flood may hurt or drown you.
A flat, cast concrete roof is great in a hurricane. But NOT in an earthquake. Hmmmmm.
It all depends on a lot of possible circumstances. Too bad there is not an earthquake Season so we can get ready.
Exactly. I prefer the lead time for hurricanes and tropical storms.

Good point about the roof structure. In places that have been hit hard before, newer houses are built under newer building codes. Major disasters have a way of making that happen.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Yeah its great if you don't mind dealing with illegally invading hordes from another country that no one seems to want to stop...

I love AZ. Its currently number one on my list of states to move to. Constitutional carry!!! FL is number 2, and GA is looking better all the time, except for those damn cold winters...
I vote for you moving to Florida! :D

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

GA is great, you get 4 seasons and a alot milder than the rest of the country. Rarely any snow and if we do get any it's just a little. I really like it here.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
To clarify, the only reason I have to evacuate for hurricanes is because my current residence is pre-Andrew (1992 hurricane) construction. Lots of crawlspace, no poured / slab foundation. Modern residence with modern building codes, I wouldn't need to evacuate for hurricanes.