Hurt by a pack of wild dogs

Emmyaramirez

Location (City and/or State)
Laredo Texas
Hello all,

A friend of mine found this tortoise being attacked by a wild pack of dogs. Should I take him/her to the vet to get his shell checked? I feel so bad. I have him now since I have several other turtles. I’m just worried he’s in pain :(

754608F7-7FA7-4249-AA3B-C8AFF0B6F534.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Male Gopherus berlandieri.

No, that's pretty superficial. I see no bloody spots or serious injuries. Texas tortoises are a protected species. I don't know the Texas laws about keeping them, so you probably should do your research to make sure it's legal for you to have him.

Give him a nice warm soak for about 15 minutes and keep him quiet to help get over the trauma of being mauled by dogs.

Emmyaramirez

Laredo Texas
Thank y’all so much for the feedback. Yes, I am aware of the laws I actually have a ranch so I plan on releasing him out there once I give him a little TLC. Thanks again

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Thank y’all so much for the feedback. Yes, I am aware of the laws I actually have a ranch so I plan on releasing him out there once I give him a little TLC. Thanks again
I am a little bit curious about the laws, out here in California once a desert tortoise has been taken from the wild for any reason it cannot be released back into the wild, is there a law like that, that exists there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My mother was attacked by a pack of wild dogs when she was a child in Lubbock. What is it with Texas and the wild dogs?

Emmyaramirez

Laredo Texas
I am a little bit curious about the laws, out here in California once a desert tortoise has been taken from the wild for any reason it cannot be released back into the wild, is there a law like that, that exists there?

I’ve never heard of a law like that here in TX. I know they suggest that if you have a tortoise that has been a pet most of it’s life, not to release it into the wild. Rather take it to a environmental center so that they can help shape the tortoise to be released one day back into the wild.

Emmyaramirez

Laredo Texas
My mother was attacked by a pack of wild dogs when she was a child in Lubbock. What is it with Texas and the wild dogs?

Too many careless people that don’t take care of their pets. I’m a social worker and you wouldn’t believe the amount of stray dogs I come across within certain communities that I visit on a daily. It’s very sad. I just moved into a new upcoming neighborhood, people literally are dropping off their dogs and cats in the neighborhood and leaving poor animals.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where I grew up we had no garbage pick up.
We had to drive all of our garbage out to a dumping area.
It often had marauding dogs that had gone wild. Packs of them. Vicious SOBs.
The locals shot and killed most of them by the time I moved.
I always thought how sad that was. Lost or abandoned pets or hunting dogs just left to fend for themselves.

But yes. I agree. Even if you see puncture marks. If it's not bleeding actively just place him as close to where he was that's safely away from the dogs.
It's all you CAN do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a tad off topic but it's a little scary how quickly dogs become feral or wild. After Katrina when people have to leave their dogs behind when evacuating the dogs formed packs quickly in just a couple of days and started hunting.

wccmog10

Georgia
I guess that just goes to show you they are not going to sit around and starve to death...

just a few days is really fast...