Husbandry for my 1 year old sulcata

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Any advice would be very helpful and I will be very grateful.
I got her from a reptile shop and she was the only one they had, I bought the set up off them but have been told it's all wrong. Please help so I can make her home perfect for her.

Sorry forgot to say I live in the uk. ImageUploadedByTortForum1387461548.273337.jpg ImageUploadedByTortForum1387461636.839324.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Glad to see you here. The split scute that your tortoise has makes it rather unique. The care sheet that Tom has authored is a very good guide. We have all made more mistakes with our husbandry than we care to admit. Please don't go too hard on the pet shop folks. There is just so much old and not so good information about these tortoises out there that it is difficult for them to stay abreast of the latest methods of care. My own sulcata got off to a much worse start than yours seems to have. Three years later he is a healthy and very personable pet.

LJWharton88

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for your help. A few people have mentioned that scute, it's not a problem in any way is it? Or does it just make her unique to be like this? It doesn't make a difference to me we think she's amazing and by far the best pet I've ever owned! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
LJWharton88 said:
Thanks for your help. A few people have mentioned that scute, it's not a problem in any way is it? Or does it just make her unique to be like this? It doesn't make a difference to me we think she's amazing and by far the best pet I've ever owned! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Not a problem. Just makes her easy to spot in a group of sulcata.