Do they hibernate?
And what do I need to do for it?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Ventura County, CA
If Robyn gave ya a site to check out, I would suggest following her advice.. Also, if I am not mistaken, someone had recently asked such a question, and if you use the search mode here on TF, you may find a great deal on the topic.

Good wishes to you,
Purpod

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
speaking of hibernation... can a desert tortoise with an RI hibernate?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If its an active obvious RI, it is not recommended. It may not survive. part of it depends on how good the general health and appetite was before hand..

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
san diego
thanks laura. i'm not even sure he has the RI, he's not showing any symptons. the vet mentioned that he had it because of his slightly puffed eyes. he's eating very well. i'm going to have a blood test done before he gets to hiberation. he's only a year old and indoor for now. i'm sure he'll be hibernating in a year or two from now. what do you do when they hibernate!!! i'll be so bored. lol

stnb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ventura, California

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Often if the tort is new to you people do not hibernate them the first year. That way you get to see how their health is. When I got my 4 big boys they were all adults and had been hibernating forever. I hibernated them the first year with no problems. They will hibernate again this year. But again they are adults and have hibernated in the past. Not hibernating them will not hurt them it will however cause you to fix an inside enclosure with the proper temps and lighting and feeding them for that time.

James, I know that it is really a nice break for me when mine hibernate. It gives me a chance to change encosures build new ones, and I have 10 Greeks that do not hibernate so I am kept pretty busy. The dogs love it because they get more time at the Dog park.(too hot in the summer) So it all works out well for me. But yes winter is when I try and do as much outside work as I can and the DT food is planted in the winter months here in CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.