Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
The idea of producing hybrids in captivity is of course not new and in itself is not necessarily a bad thing. Orchid growers have been producing complex hybrids for over a hundred years. But orchid growers (for the most part) have also kept very detailed records about the lineage of each cross. In addition, orchid species and identifiable regional variants have been closely and carefully preserved so that they are not lost in the bewildering universe of crosses.
This has not been the case with reptile keepers who have produced so many crosses and mutations in snakes in the past thirty years that now the Big Fear of ecologists have come true--these mutts are being released into the wild to screw up native snake genes. Whether intentional or not, corn snakes and kingsnakes that possess multiple mutation gene mixes common to the 'designer morph' craze have now been found in Florida in numerous locations.
It is an undeniable fact that many garage breeders of boas, pythons and colubrid snakes have proved that they are not the most responsible people in the world. Just take a look at the pythons in the Everglades if you need further proof.
EricIvins makes a good point when he says that hybrid tortoises are not likely to be overrunning the reptile trade any time soon. But his idea that since most people don't really know exactly where their tortoises came from, trying to maintain identifiable locality types is nothing more than 'chest thumping' is overly simplistic and demeaning. He is an animal dealer and no doubt has seen thousands of imported tortoises from more or less identifiable places. I'm pretty sure EricIvins could see a group of imported red-footed tortoises and tell you with great accuracy what country they were exported from. Does that mean there are no interlopers from somewhere else mixed in, or no unusual animals in that group that don't fit the general phenotype of that region? Of course not. But in general an experienced person has a good idea.
I've been involved with imported tortoises since the 1960s when my uncle worked for Bill Chase in Miami. I spent countless hours at Pet Farm, Chase's, Chapman's and the many other smaller importers. I was at Pet Farm when the first major shipment of the so called cherry-head (about 3500 animals) red-footed tortoises came in. Believe me, although there are exceptions, I can pretty much tell you what the most commonly imported red-footed tortoises look like. I don't need to know exactly what plot of land each animal came from to be a responsible breeder-- and that isn't chest thumping. I guess I could play dumb as some folks on this and other forums have done in the past and say, "Aw shucks, I didn't check their passports and a redfoot is just a redfoot, so I'll just breed my cherryhead to this Colombian. Duh, they look exactly the same to me anyway."
OK, I know that this isn't what most of you are saying. But some have.

Having said all of this (and gotten it off my thumped chest), I do agree with EricIvins about the idea that a leopard X sulcata cross might be the best pet tortoise going in the future. That might just be true and I'm not against people producing them. I sure hope these animals are clearly identified and not sold as 'dark' leopard tortoises or sulcatas 'with some spots' though. But seeing what has happened with designer snakes doesn't make me feel that hopeful.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
surely people would hope in the future that sulcatas altogether are not bred much and only given to very experienced keepers?

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
GeoTerraTestudo said:
StudentoftheReptile said:
We praise the mutations (most of the herp community, anyway) because they look cool and they are worth more. But we often forget that these are ANOMALIES, ABERRATIONS to the real deal, and likewise, would not survive in nature. There is a REASON a sulcata is colored the way it is, and not naturally ivory. There is a reason a cherry head looks the way it is and a yellow foot looks the way it is. Evolution decided this, not us.

Very refreshing to read that. Thank you! I'd take a wildtype reptile over a morph any day.

My thoughts exactly. I have about as much of a problem with most morphs as I do hybridization. Admittedly though, hybridization is a bigger potential problem down the line as far as genetic "purity" goes. Try buying a true Boa constrictor constrictor or a pure Jungle Carpet Python and you quickly realize the only option is a reputable breeder, because the "Craigslist-type animals" are almost all hybridized somewhere down the line. (I know there are a ton more examples, but those are two I've looked into at some point.)

I have even more respect for people that are dedicated to keeping locality purity intact, because that just adds another level of dedication. When I buy an animal, I want something representative of what is really out there in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.