For-Mr.Spock

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
20200229_102448.jpg20200229_102450.jpg
Alright, the pictures are bad (sorry), but the list is: Bok choy, carrots, zucchini, green beans and peas. This is given with grassland tortoise pellets. Should this be fed to Russian tortoises? And other tortoises like them?

Attachments

• 20200229_102446.jpg
    20200229_102446.jpg
    539.5 KB · Views: 1

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Hi!
Peas and beans, and most supermarket veg, are not ideal and shouldn't be a diet staple imo. Peas in particular are labeled DO NOT FEED in the tortoise trust plant database.

It states:
"Peas, like other legumes, are not good for tortoises. They are very high in protein and contain high levels of phytic acid. Phytic acid, which is present in the coating of seeds and nuts and is the principle storage form for phosphorous, has an effect similar to that of oxalic acid, in that it prevents the body from absorbing calcium. This, in turn, can lead to your tortoise suffering from kidney stones and other problems, so although Peas and Pea Shoots are not actually toxic, they should not form part of your tortoise's diet".

A lot of pet store info is wrong and potentially harmful. Most torts need weeds and grasses as the cornerstone of their diet. I would go for a pellet composed more of those. I use zoo med grassland tortoise food, but recently another member recommended Mazuri tortoise food to me, so I'm looking forward to trying that out, it looks to me of a higher quality. Endive, escarole, collard greens, lambs lettuce, cilantro, are better supermarket options imo.

For-Mr.Spock

Pennsylvania
Hi!
Peas and beans, and most supermarket veg, are not ideal and shouldn't be a diet staple imo. Peas in particular are labeled DO NOT FEED in the tortoise trust plant database.

It states:
"Peas, like other legumes, are not good for tortoises. They are very high in protein and contain high levels of phytic acid. Phytic acid, which is present in the coating of seeds and nuts and is the principle storage form for phosphorous, has an effect similar to that of oxalic acid, in that it prevents the body from absorbing calcium. This, in turn, can lead to your tortoise suffering from kidney stones and other problems, so although Peas and Pea Shoots are not actually toxic, they should not form part of your tortoise's diet".

A lot of pet store info is wrong and potentially harmful. Most torts need weeds and grasses as the cornerstone of their diet. I would go for a pellet composed more of those. I use zoo med grassland tortoise food, but recently another member recommended Mazuri tortoise food to me, so I'm looking forward to trying that out, it looks to me of a higher quality. Endive, escarole, collard greens, lambs lettuce, cilantro, are better supermarket options imo.
No worries, I do not feed my own tortoise this. I just want a good argument for why I am not comfortable feeding this to the tortoise that is currently at the pet store.

Thank you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would think it would be ok as a re-hydrated salad topper, but I wouldn't feed it as a staple.