Hydrodynastes gigas

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
AKA: False water cobra. My co-worker has had a male adult FWC for years, and is constantly telling me how great they are. I agree with him and I've been casually looking for one for a few months now. Some friends attended the Pomona reptile show this last weekend and sent me this picture:
IMG_6003.jpg
It just so happens that these friends are both experienced snake people and were kind enough to spend time evaluating and picking one out for me.

I have not named her yet, but here is my new baby:
IMG_6004.jpg
IMG_6006.jpg

We haven't named her yet, but when handling her the other day, I noticed this marking on the back of her head and neck:
IMG_6035.jpeg

Seems her name will have to start with an "A".

I gave her a day to settle in and offered food on day two. She sniffed at it and gently took several pieces of pigeon and jackrabbit from me. Just like my cribos, this species eats anything. This is a very appealing trait. Makes feeding them cheap and easy. Two days later, I pulled her out for some handling, and she was so calm and easy going. I think she's going to be a wonderful new pet. We will probably breed them when she gets large enough in two or three years.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
AKA: False water cobra. My co-worker has had a male adult FWC for years, and is constantly telling me how great they are. I agree with him and I've been casually looking for one for a few months now. Some friends attended the Pomona reptile show this last weekend and sent me this picture:
View attachment 339678
It just so happens that these friends are both experienced snake people and were kind enough to spend time evaluating and picking one out for me.

I have not named her yet, but here is my new baby:
View attachment 339679
View attachment 339680

We haven't named her yet, but when handling her the other day, I noticed this marking on the back of her head and neck:
View attachment 339681

Seems her name will have to start with an "A".

I gave her a day to settle in and offered food on day two. She sniffed at it and gently took several pieces of pigeon and jackrabbit from me. Just like my cribos, this species eats anything. This is a very appealing trait. Makes feeding them cheap and easy. Two days later, I pulled her out for some handling, and she was so calm and easy going. I think she's going to be a wonderful new pet. We will probably breed them when she gets large enough in two or three years.
How is she doing? What size do they get to? What is the native country?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How is she doing? What size do they get to? What is the native country?
Hi Tammy! Another common name for the species is "the Brazilian smooth snake". Most snake people just refer to them as FWCs. Males grow to about 6-7 feet, and females grow to about 7-8 feet.

She's doing great. Eats like a pig, molting regularly. Her sheds always come out perfectly and in one piece due to her high humidity enclosure. I didn't weigh her when I got her, but I'd estimate she's about tripled in weight since then. She'll eat anything. She'll even eat when she's blue and about to molt.

When the lid opens, she is eager to eat and ready to snap at anything that moves. This is a great feeding response that I'm happy about, and it shows that she's comfortable in her enclosure. As soon as I get her out and lay a hand on her, she just calms right down and is completely docile. I won't go so far as to say she "enjoys" being handled, but she's certainly calm, tolerant and exploratory when I handle her. Its pretty cool.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi Tammy! Another common name for the species is "the Brazilian smooth snake". Most snake people just refer to them as FWCs. Males grow to about 6-7 feet, and females grow to about 7-8 feet.

She's doing great. Eats like a pig, molting regularly. Her sheds always come out perfectly and in one piece due to her high humidity enclosure. I didn't weigh her when I got her, but I'd estimate she's about tripled in weight since then. She'll eat anything. She'll even eat when she's blue and about to molt.

When the lid opens, she is eager to eat and ready to snap at anything that moves. This is a great feeding response that I'm happy about, and it shows that she's comfortable in her enclosure. As soon as I get her out and lay a hand on her, she just calms right down and is completely docile. I won't go so far as to say she "enjoys" being handled, but she's certainly calm, tolerant and exploratory when I handle her. Its pretty cool.
That's great. I had never heard of this snake before. I too am a "snake person" but my ability to collect here in Jamaica is severely limited. Right now I have 7 BPs, a RTB (imperator) and a SST python looking after which I hate to have give back now that it's healthy again!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Any recent pics of your Brazilian smoothie?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's great. I had never heard of this snake before. I too am a "snake person" but my ability to collect here in Jamaica is severely limited. Right now I have 7 BPs, a RTB (imperator) and a SST python looking after which I hate to have give back now that it's healthy again!
SST? I've been thinking about getting a BEL ball. My friend just got a "super fire boa" He sent me a pic. Its pretty cool looking.