I’d like to breed Ball Pythons

KaderTheAnt

The title pretty much says it all. I’ve never keeping snakes for a few years and have always been interested in breeding them. I’ve been gathering information on the subject and would like for any experts out there to tell me how accurate my information is or tell me if I missed something.

Breeding Ball Pythons

•Females
-at least 3 years old
-at least 1500 grams

•Males
-500 grams
-2 years old

*Process*

•In mid October, keep the temperature at 85* in the day and 75* at night. Continue to feed, but in smaller and less frequent proportions. Do this for 3-4 weeks.

•After the 3-4 weeks of cooling, introduce the male to the females enclosure. Make sure they’ve mated at least 3 times before removing the male.

•In mid March begin warming up the snakes. At this time, females should begin showing signs of ovulation.
-looking for cooler spots in the enclosure
-wrapping around the water bowl
-prior to ovulation, females color will intensifying the dark areas to a lighter color. This can occur 8 weeks prior to ovulation
*the appearance of an ovulating female will cause the female to look as though she’s eaten a large meal*

•Gravid females will usually have a pre-lay shed 2-3 weeks after ovulation. They should lay eggs within 4-5 weeks.
-females tend to have 6 eggs but can be more and can be less

•Remove the eggs immediately after the female has laid them. Gently place the eggs in an incubation container that contains about 2-4 inches of vermiculite. The eggs should be kept at about 89*. Excess water on the lid should be wiped away to keep the eggs from molding.

*Hatchlings*

•After approximately 53-56 days the eggs will begin to hatch. They will dimple as the hatchlings will be using up more yolk. The humidity will also rise as the eggs will be giving off their own heat at this period.

•All python babies come equipped with an egg tooth, which is used to cut holes in the egg. When one cuts a hole or pips, it is safe to assume that all will be ready to hatch. After one has pipped, you may want to cut a slit into the egg of that one and the others as well.
-do not rotate the eggs as this can cause the snake to drown
-do not pull the snake from the egg, allow it to come out naturally

•Place the hatchling in its own tub using moist paper towels as substrate.

*Once the snake has had its first shed, (7-10 days after hatching) it should be offered its first meal. Most will take live pinkies

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just to let you know that someone (me?) has read your thread - did you see last night's "911" program on Fox? In one segment a gal's BIG constrictor was wrapped around her neck choking her and the fireman that came to the rescue chopped off the snake's head. Yipes!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Just to let you know that someone (me?) has read your thread - did you see last night's "911" program on Fox? In one segment a gal's BIG constrictor was wrapped around her neck choking her and the fireman that came to the rescue chopped off the snake's head. Yipes!
Yikes! I didn't see that but plan to Google it now.

I'm bringing home a ball python in spring. I've been setting up the enclosure this past week and since I'm going bioactive, I'll let it establish for the next month or 2 before adding the snake. I have no plans to breed the albino male I'm getting (and no advice for you) but I sure am excited!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Ball Pythons stay short and chubby.
Never get
Large enough to be truly dangerous and most don't bite.