I’m concerned about my Russian tortoise

Tortoisebaby

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Background info: I have a male Russian tortoise, the temperature under the basking light is in the 90’s and the surrounding area is about in the 70’s or 80’s. I bathed him today. He pooped or peed white and brown stuff today. When I got him out a pet store he seemed to always be hidden in a corner.

So I just got my Russian tortoise and he hisses. It scared me at first but I read that the hissing is an involuntary act when they go in their shell. However, he has hissed about six or eight times today and I’m concerned and it also scares me. I think he doesn’t like me because when I first petted his shell he hissed and when I trickled water on his shell he hissed and when I stare at him he hissed, so I’m just leaving him alone right now.

Long story short: my tortoise hisses and I don’t know why. In addition, he hasn’t eating the food I’ve given out today and he only ever bask/sleeps under the heat lamp/uvb. He napped for about an hour and a half and he has been under that heat lamp for three or a little less hours. Should I be concerned?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's nothing to worry about or be scared of. Tortoises can't really like you or dislike you, not in the way humans think of it.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
He will get used to you eventually and the behavior should stop. My 18 year old tortoise still hisses if he gets startled. I try to approach him slowly from the front so he can see me coming. It also helps to come bearing foods he loves.

It takes them awhile to get used to new situations. Let him get used to his enclosure for a few days.

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
Background: Russian tortoise, basking spot in the 90’s, surrounding area in the 80’s,hiding spots,humid spot, got him from a pet store two days ago, he pooped yesterday when I bathed him and let’s out a cream cheese like substance, I guess it was pee.

Day 1: I bathed him then put him in his house. He was active and explored for about fifteen minutes. I gave him a dish of food. He didn’t eat. Then he feel asleep under the heat lamp during the day. Then when lights were out he sleep in the cool humid area.

Day 2: he was still asleep. I turned on the heat lamp, he is napping currently to the side of it. I tried getting him to eat, he won’t, he attempted to stare at his food and a piece of apple but never eats.

Exstra: he seems to hate red rose petals, he went in his shell when I showed him one and he doesn’t normally act like that.

I read that he might be bored and likes to sleep but he’s been sleeping for 20 hours. I just want to pet him and play with him, but I’m a little scared of him, he makes a hissing sound when he releases oxygen I guess.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Patience. It'll take him a little while to get used to his new surroundings. Just give him a little space for now. He'll come out and eat when he's hungry and feels safe. When i built the new enclosure for my little guy, it took about a week before he was hack to his old self.

creepy-crawler

5 Year Member
SoCal
hiss, i remember the first time it happened to me :) he is just not used to being handled:)

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
It’s been three days and my Russian tortoise won’t eat. He seems comfortable in his home because he stays out of hiding and sleeps comfortable. I heard that if my tortoise doesn’t eat after three days, their is something wrong. My temperatures were too high at first. Now, I’m leaving the cage at 70’s degree Fahrenheit on the cool side and high 80’s degree Fahrenheit under the bulb and for the ambient temperature. He was acting as if 90’s were too hot for him. I picked my tortoise up and saw that he right foots claws are extremely shorter than the rest of his claws. Is that bad?
While he sleeps and then wakes up, he sticks his neck out and makes that hissing noise from expelling oxygen. I’m not even near him when he does that, so why is he constantly expelling oxygen with his neck stretched out after naps and then falling right back to sleep?
I know he is not going to eat today or tommorow because he acts lethargic. I’m really concerned and regretting getting a pet tortoise. It is winter time though so.....

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Yup. Give him time to get used to you, handle him and let him get used to your hand/presence, and approach him slowly.

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
It’s day three of me having a Russian tortoise and it’s not at all what I thought. It is winter here when I got him but still. He sleeps all day, he isn’t entertaining, he’s not active, and he doesn’t eat. I can’t even play with him. I’m really regretting this as time goes by. I don’t think he was meant for me. I wanted to take a chance on the tortoise who is always in the corner being shy and neglected but it’s not paying off. I’m so frustrated. I lose sleep at night knowing he hasn’t eaten and that he might not be happy with his home.[emoji17][emoji22][emoji30]

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
It will take your tort a bit before it will do much. They don’t like change. You really don’t play with torts, they are not like dogs and cats etc. They like to be alone, not really a social animal. Also, it is winter now, if you want the tort to stay awake, you have to provide 13 to 14 hours of bright light a day and increase the heat to about 80 during the day. Right now he is not eating and is hiding because you just got him. Give it about a week or so to settle in. Continue to put food and water out daily. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
I’m a very impatient person and my tortoise has gone too long without eating. I have tried everything. I bathed him. I left him a lone. I pet his shell. He sleeps all day and won’t eat. I expected him to eat, drink water out of his bowl, and climb on top of things and stuff, but he does absolutely nothing. He is frustrating me so bad. I don’t even want him anymore. I don’t like him.

Tortoisebaby

Tennessee
I don’t know why I bother cleaning his water bowl and stuff when he doesn’t even like me and I don’t like him.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
You've only had the tort for 3 days. Give it a little more time and space. He's probably scared and needs to adjust a bit more. He'll eat when he gets too hungry. ;)

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
there is a skill involved in keeping these animals long term healthy , and it's expensive , it cost way more to keep a reptile properly long term than does the animal , even animals that cost thousands of dollars , there lifelong care will dwarf that cost ......... patience sometimes is a part of it , but if your care is not up to par , the only thing you'll be waiting on is the animals death ........ not eating has nothing to do with whether or not the tortoise likes you ........ hopefully someone can help you out , i'm sure they're going to need to know your care and circumstances ......... most folks are not willing/capable of keeping reptiles long term ........... good luck to you , there is good information here , and it is doable ..............

Try sticking your hand into his cage and keeping it there for a few minutes it will start to understand that you aren't a threat. If you think he is uninteresting try taking him out of his cage and putting him on your carpet or floor. When I do this to my Russian he starts running around and stuff. Also what are you feeding him, romaine and weeds are good for torts. Tell me what you are feeding him and I will be able to help.

Bee62

Germany
It’s day three of me having a Russian tortoise and it’s not at all what I thought. It is winter here when I got him but still. He sleeps all day, he isn’t entertaining, he’s not active, and he doesn’t eat. I can’t even play with him. I’m really regretting this as time goes by. I don’t think he was meant for me. I wanted to take a chance on the tortoise who is always in the corner being shy and neglected but it’s not paying off. I’m so frustrated. I lose sleep at night knowing he hasn’t eaten and that he might not be happy with his home.[emoji17][emoji22][emoji30]
Three days are not enough time for a tortoise to settle in in an new enclosure. Give him time.
Give him bright lights for 12 hours a day.
Give him warmth: 100 F basking spot and 80 F the whole enclosure.
Give him warm soaks of 30 minutes a day. Make sure that the water stays warm during the soaks.
Give him food every day.
Give him time.
And don`t disturb him, don`t handle him too much and don`t let him roam free in the floor ! Never ! That is a bad idea.