I’m concerned about my Russian tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose
I think it's a matter of the two of you adjusting to each other. don't forget, alot of Russian tortoises are taken from their home environment in a far away place, then sent to the United States. And even if he wasn't caught in the wild, he probably has to adjust to his new surroundings. Take care of him, clean his cage. The more he sees your hand, the more he will get used to you. Be patient with your new pet. Eventually, he will come running to your hand when he sees you putting in fresh food! I know for a fact your new tortoise will do this after a while. You must have liked him when you brought him home. Imagine being him. Sent from one place to another. He doesn't know that you are trying to give him a nice home yet. I hope you start to like him again. He WILL like you.

We haven’t heard from that tort and his one owner. I sure hope all is well. I’m just so glad I have a rather uniquely personality in my tort. It allows for maximum bonding.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Three days are not enough time for a tortoise to settle in in an new enclosure. Give him time.
Give him bright lights for 12 hours a day.
Give him warmth: 100 F basking spot and 80 F the whole enclosure.
Give him warm soaks of 30 minutes a day. Make sure that the water stays warm during the soaks.
Give him food every day.
Give him time.
And don`t disturb him, don`t handle him too much and don`t let him roam free in the floor ! Never ! That is a bad idea.
Why is it a bad idea my tort does it all the time and loves it?

Bee62

Germany
Why is it a bad idea my tort does it all the time and loves it?
Roaming free on the floor is dangerous for torts: Things on the floor that they can eat and make them sick, cords, dust and cold draft that can cause respiration infects.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Roaming free on the floor is dangerous for torts: Things on the floor that they can eat and make them sick, cords, dust and cold draft that can cause respiration infects.
I understand that but is it not okay to just do it every once and a while whilst keeping an eye on the tort?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I understand that but is it not okay to just do it every once and a while whilst keeping an eye on the tort?

No. In all of the horror stories we hear, it always starts with “I was watching him really closely, and I turned my head for ______ seconds, and ________ happened!” And besides that, if your tort knows that there’s a world beyond the enclosure, it will be constantly pacing the walls and climbing to escape.

hollygaucas

Manchester
No. In all of the horror stories we hear, it always starts with “I was watching him really closely, and I turned my head for ______ seconds, and ________ happened!” And besides that, if your tort knows that there’s a world beyond the enclosure, it will be constantly pacing the walls and climbing to escape.
I understand your concern but what stories have you heard that could possibly happen?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I understand your concern but what stories have you heard that could possibly happen?

Getting stepped on, getting too cold, eating a dust bunny, getting kicked, not wanting to stay in the enclosure, dog attack, getting lost, stuck under couch, and much, much more. And if this is your 3 month old tortoise you were talking about in your thread, it is much, much to young to be out, where it is far too cold, and not to mention, stressful, for a new tortoise.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Getting stepped on, getting too cold, eating a dust bunny, getting kicked, not wanting to stay in the enclosure, dog attack, getting lost, stuck under couch, and much, much more. And if this is your 3 month old tortoise you were talking about in your thread, it is much, much to young to be out, where it is far too cold, and not to mention, stressful, for a new tortoise.
I understand, thanks so much for the concern.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Do you know what I should do to entertain him then if he can’t roan on my floor?

Destben

Kansas
Do you know what I should do to entertain him then if he can’t roan on my floor?

Tortoises are very solitary and are very content to eat and sleep lol so just provide lots of plant variety for him/her to munch on and hide in.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Tortoises don’t really need entertainment. They wake up, bask, eat, walk around and make sure no one has entered their territory, and sleep. Rinse and repeat. However, to keep your tort happy, make sure it has a nice large enclosure, feed it a variety, and make sure it’s temps are right. You can also try putting its food in different places every day.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Tortoises don’t really need entertainment. They wake up, bask, eat, walk around and make sure no one has entered their territory, and sleep. Rinse and repeat. However, to keep your tort happy, make sure it has a nice large enclosure, feed it a variety, and make sure it’s temps are right. You can also try putting its food in different places every day.
What does bask mean? What difference would moving the food around make? How can I measure the temps though? Thanks :rolleyes:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What does bask mean? What difference would moving the food around make? How can I measure the temps though? Thanks :rolleyes:

You don’t have a thermometer?

Put the food in a different place every day. It might make him search for the food, and wonder where it will be tomorrow.

If you don’t know how to measure temps, that’s a huge problem. Temperature is absolutely everything for a reptile.

hollygaucas

Manchester
You don’t have a thermometer?

Put the food in a different place every day. It might make him search for the food, and wonder where it will be tomorrow.

If you don’t know how to measure temps, that’s a huge problem. Temperature is absolutely everything for a reptile.
The guy at the pet shop never told me this. I can get a thermometer and do my research.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
The guy at the pet shop never told me this. I can get a thermometer and do my research.

I am begging you to read the care sheet and beginner mistakes thread I gave you on the other thread. I’m seriously worrying for your tort right now.

Destben

Kansas

Take a look at the care sheet but the pet store thermometers aren’t very accurate try buying one that you would use in your house and a temperature gun. Both you can get on amazon. They are the more accurate way to get temps. The gun will help you check places the thermometer can’t read.

hollygaucas

Manchester
Take a look at the care sheet but the pet store thermometers aren’t very accurate try buying one that you would use in your house and a temperature gun. Both you can get on amazon. They are the more accurate way to get temps. The gun will help you check places the thermometer can’t read.

Thanks a bunch!

Bee62

Germany
Totally agree !
Torts learn very quick that it funny for them to roam free ( they think so, we don`t ) and then always try to get out. There is a thread in the sulcata section that a young sulcata always scratches the walls of her enclosure and drives her owner nuts with the noise The owner let the tort often roam free in the house and now the tort want this "free life" every time.