I’m new!

rocketmybaby

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello, I’m getting a baby Hermann tortoise on Thursday and I’m very excited! I’m happy to hear any tips for new owners :)

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

rocketmybaby

UK

rocketmybaby

UK

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
View attachment 250942
View attachment 250943
This is the inclosure. Haha my tortoise is asleep in the mini box.

There’s a lot that needs to be changed. Did you read the links a gave you?

Assuming the substrate is aspen, it needs to be changed to coco coir, peat moss, cypress mulch, or orchid bark. I would recommend coir and peat moss for babies.

Your enclosure is too open. You need a lot more hides and decorations.

That water bowl is too high, and a flipping hazard, and should be changed to something like a terra cotta saucer, big enough for it to sit in.

That enclosure seems very open. You might need to cover it to hold 50-70% humidity.

Be sure to read those links :)

rocketmybaby

UK
Thank you, we are going to get more hiding places for it and I think we’re going to use a soil instead of the bedding when we have run out. My tortoise Rocket has drank out of the water bowl and can get up and down. I will read the links though

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you, we are going to get more hiding places for it and I think we’re going to use a soil instead of the bedding when we have run out. My tortoise Rocket has drank out of the water bowl and can get up and down. I will read the links though

You need to change the bedding now, not when it runs out. It is extremely important that you get the humidity right while it’s still a baby, and you can’t do that with what you have.

I would not use soil. It gets muddy when wet, and you can never know if it’s composition.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Aspen bedding is potentially hazardous to your tortoise's health. It's dry, dusty, and can cause a tortoise to become impacted if ingested. Impaction is often serious and sometimes deadly. Avoid expensive vet bills by changing the substrate as soon as you possibly can.

tinytortoise

Austin, Texas

Just replying to bump the concern. Don't wait ~ change it ASAP! Moisture is everything for that baby! Read the links provided!! Post after pics <3

Last edited: