I accidentally shaked my tortoise too harshly

tortoisecata

Location (City and/or State)
Africa
I accidentally tried to dry my tortoise by shaking it a little but i shaked him too harshly before i put him onto the towel, now im scared my tortoise lost all the trust he gained for me and now i feel like he is scared from me...

Lfrieling

Lafayette, Colorado
I accidentally tried to dry my tortoise by shaking it a little but i shaked him too harshly before i put him onto the towel, now im scared my tortoise lost all the trust he gained for me and now i feel like he is scared from me...
Phlash (red eared slider) was apparently upset with me when I was gone for a week. My wife was home. He ignored me instead of his normal "warm" greeting and waving and "obvious" excitement. He got over it in a day or three.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why would you think shaking him was a good thing? He doesn't even need to be dried off, that's kinda defeating the purpose of soaking.
Heard of shaking baby syndrome? Well that can happen to any living thing, so don't shake a living thing.

Lyn W

10 Year Member!
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't know how you 'accidentally' shake something, but hopefully he will be OK and soon realise you're the one who feeds him and be less wary. Just let him dry off naturally in future to help his hydration.
What sort if tort is he?

enchilada

10 Year Member!
Newport Beach CA
dont worry about it, tortoises are very dumb and will forget about it in couple of days

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Just because you don't remember your broken neck doesn't mean it's not broken ... right?

tortoisecata

Africa
Hi and welcome,
I don't know how you 'accidentally' shake something, but hopefully he will be OK and soon realise you're the one who feeds him and be less wary. Just let him dry off naturally in future to help his hydration.
What sort if tort is he?

Hi and welcome,
What sort if tort is he?
Well i shook him while putting him on the towel, he is a sulcata or a greek tortoise, i don't know how to diffrentiate between the two. but im still confused on how to make him enjoy his life (aka not make him sad, make him realize that im feeding him) Everytime I try to play or feed him he just ignores me and does his own thing.

tortoisecata

Africa
Well i shook him while putting him on the towel, he is a sulcata or a greek tortoise, i don't know how to diffrentiate between the two. but im still confused on how to make him enjoy his life (aka not make him sad, make him realize that im feeding him) Everytime I try to play or feed him he just ignores me and does his own thing.
And i promise I will not shake my tortoise again.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First thing you need to do is determine what species he is. Can't take the proper care of him when you don't know what it is!
Post a pic of him so we can tell you the correct species and then you can read the correct care sheet on this forum

tortoisecata

Africa
First thing you need to do is determine what species he is. Can't take the proper care of him when you don't know what it is!
Post a pic of him so we can tell you the correct species and then you can read the correct care sheet on this forum
Okay one sec