I adopted a red ear slider turtle

MuseCrazy

Location (City and/or State)
Bowie, Maryland
Long story short, my boyfriends parents may be getting a divorce and under those circumstances, he and his turtle moved in with me!
He has had this RES in a 20 gallon tank for at least 10 years with a filter and floating log. My hermit crabs are in a bigger tank than this turtle. I don't think they've ever dechlorinated the water or had UVB light, just a basic house light, fed basic pellets and crab food I'd bring over cause I felt bad for the big guy. He really shouldn't be in a 20 gallon long, when I scolded my boyfriend and his mom for it they were like "oh if we get him a bigger tank he'll get bigger" what is the best way to house them?

I have a pond in my backyard, but a crazy winter killed all the koi fish and frog eggs (I'm in Maryland). Occasionally some random frogs native to my area will hang out in it but it's been empty for 3 years and has bamboo and some other plants in it. Should I put him in this pond for the spring/summer and bring him in for the winter? I want to give him the best care I can.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Hi there! Have no fears, there's a lot you can do to help this little turtle live a happy life. :)

I would start by browsing craigslist for someone local who may have a larger tank.

It's important that your slider has water and land. You can provide a nice land area by incorporating some nice slabs of slate, rocks, or wood.

Directly above this land area should be a nice heat lamp. It's important that this heat lamp also provides UVB rays. They are super easy to find at a local pet store or online at Amazon.

If your turtle does not have any UVB rays, she may develop softshell, (or metabolic bone disease.)

There are many great websites that will provide you with great care sheets and instructions for sliders. http://www.redearslider.com

I would avoid putting any gravel in the tank, because I have had aquatic turtles that have swallowed the gravel before. I used blue bathmats at the bottom of my tank and the turtles really seem to enjoy it.

Good luck! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your yard is fenced and the turtle can't escape, I'd use the pond for the summer. Big RES really do better outside. Its so hard to keep a turtle aquarium clean.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Like Yvonne said use the pond . The best way to keep him happy and healthy . I fenced my pond with plywood. Cut in 8'×16" . Used 1"×4" to frame it . Get feeder fish and crawfish and some floating pants you'll have a happy slider .

Attachments

• 1396915779428.jpg
    1396915779428.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 1396915803058.jpg
    1396915803058.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 26

MuseCrazy

Bowie, Maryland
promisetolove said:
How big is the turtle?

He/she is probably 6 inches across. Can barely turn around in his tank.

Are there any plants that may be in my pond I should look out for that are harmful? There's lots of dead leaves from fall in it still, I'll take them out. Will I need an out door filter? If I add water to the pond via the hose should I dechlorinate it? Will the turtle eat the frogs? What do I have to do to maintain the pond?

MuseCrazy

Bowie, Maryland
So we cleared about 60% of the pond out.
y6ydy8eq.jpg
The green stalks we cut down and removed are tall grass with yellow and purple flowers, can't remember what they are called.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397143407.958529.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1397143437.658146.jpg

any idea what kind of plant this is? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397143465.274724.jpg
We are going to line the inside of the fence with this.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397143521.090805.jpg

Is there any problems you see with this kind of enclosure?

Last edited by a moderator:

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You have to put a lip around the enclosure. With what you are using, a RES will climb right out of that. They are pretty resourceful turtles. You can use pretty much any water plant as well as cover plant for the ground. Make sure to provide a basking spot over the water. You will want to treat the water and put in a filter. Alos, if you provide a good amount of dirt and a place to go, your turtle will be able to hibernate and survive even a Md winter.