I am a new and proud owner of an African Sulcata Tortoise (:

• Thread starter ♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđÎ
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ã

♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđÎ

My name is ♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđα♪, I have gone by it for years.. I just recently got an Afriican Sulcata Tortoise from my boss. I work at Petco, and apparently a customer brought this little tortoise in and my boss examined it and took it home to care for it. It is a year now, I just recently purchased it from my boss and he is too cute! The customer found this little guy walkin along the street (Though I myself am unsure how) All in all I really enjoy the little guy. I named it Speed Bump (Because of his background) and he knows his name very well. Speed bump and I already have a special bond even though I have only had him a month. My boss didn't want it anymore because he claimed "Turtles are boring" but hey I find it very fascinating. I can pet it, pur my nose to its nose and it won't hide in the shell. Lets me take it for walks, I will walk and hold it in my hand.. Though I am still unsure if its a boy or girl and I am unsure how to tell if it is -.- But I do spoil it. I have canned mango, fresh baby spring mix and the grass pellets. I buy it many things just to keep it happy. Though, it likes to turn itself over a lot and I am unsure of why.. If anyone has any tips, hints. ect please let me know :) I am still new to this stuff, I know to soak it, feed it and water it, clean the cage and all that jazz. Speed Bump comes before myself lol. It's wake up, fresh food and water and some loves and then its my turn lol.

Attachments

• =D.jpg
    =D.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 97
  • =p.jpg
    =p.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 94
M

Maggie Cummings

Hi and welcome...Sulcata are grazers and really shouldn't have fruit so I would stop with the mangos. Their kidneys cannot process sugar like ours does. Sugar is not good for them. Why don't you take some pictures of his habitat and him for us? We would love to see how you care for him...

Ã

♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđÎ

I am still getting his tank set up. So its not really the lively of habitat yet, >.< I am considering getting some plants to put in and such to kinda give him a natural look and also its the canned mango for reptiles at Petco that I mix in 1 time a week with his grassland tortoise pellets. I still am unsure of whats safe to put in his tank and such. I have to do something cause it keeps flipping itself over -.- climbs the log and flips. I am unsure if its too bored. I need to liven it up I think >.<

M

Maggie Cummings

It does not matter that it is the canned mangos for reptiles. That's for reptiles who eat fruit, Sulcata should not eat fruit. Please don't feed that stuff to your Sulcata you will make him sick.

Ã

♪Ms.мαиđαРαиđÎ

I don't want him sick! D: I didn't know actually. My boss didn't tell me much so I have been researching but didn't see anything about that =[ I just want whats best for him =]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Its hard to tell from the pics, but I pretty sure that's a California Desert Tortoise, not a sulcata. Where are you in the country? Can you take a close up pic of his front side showing the front legs?

The care and diet is fairly similar until you get to fall/winter. There's lots of good info in the diet and enclosure section.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Umm if those pics are of THE tortoise.. its not a sulcata.. it a Desert Tort. You will need to get a permit and I hope you are in calif..
and I dont think that original person found it walking down the street.. but you never know!!!
We can help with all and make sure your little guy stays healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Manda:

Welcome to the forum!!

Little sulcata babies have a much higher dome than the tortoise in your pictures. So, if your baby really IS a sulcata, there's something wrong with the way he was taken care of before you got him. Its good that you've joined the forum, because we can help you determine what kind of tortoise you have and what kind of care he needs.

Its ok for people to have desert tortoises, you just need to apply for a permit from the Fish and Game department. But I usually tell people not to apply until the tortoise is about 3 years old. They are pretty fragile as babies and quite a few of them don't live very long.

So, get us some better pictures and we'll give you the benefit of our experiences.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Manda - welcome to the Forum. Whatever you have, whether sulcata or desert tort, it's a nice one and enjoy!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

I agree :) that is a Desert tortoise and not a Sulcata.

Danny

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hello and welcome. I have a sulcata that flipped over a lot. Is he/she (cant tell till they are much older) in a glass tank? If so try putting paper half way up on the outside. This is what I did and it helps. Also remove anything that he can flip over on for now. They can die if they are on their backs to long. You can add plants but make sure they have had no chemicals, so if you buy them from a nursery they probably have chemicals. I grow new things outside for one season before I put them in Tanks pen. Organic spring mix from the store is great and add things like grass, dandalion, clover. You can find lists on the forum of what to feed. After you find out for sure what type of tort you have you should look up a care sheet for him. Again welcome and you have found the right place for advice:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Don't be scared about getting a permit for your CDT it is easy and free to do, if you live in california just go to your local CTTC ( California Turtle and Tortoise Club) and they will register it for you no charge. I belong to the foothill chapter if you are in that area we would love to see you there.

and welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.