I am disgusted and devastated.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
This is right near where I live, I just don't understand, I am so angry and upset.

Orange Park girls under investigation after graphic video of gopher tortoise torture surfaces
By Dan Scanlan Wed, Jul 16, 2014 @ 1:11 pm | updated Wed, Jul 16, 2014 @ 10:13 pm

blank.gif
BACK PHOTO: 1 OF 2 NEXT

Images provided by Nevada Voters for Animals
This screen grab from one of the two videos re-posted by Nevada Voters for Animals showing one of the Orange Park girls under investigation holding a baby gopher tortoise seconds before it is thrown, then crushed.

The graphic video shows two Orange Park girls burning a small gopher tortoise, then laughing and cursing as they throw it down the street.

Then as they scream in laughter and mock horror, a second video shows the tortoise crushed to death.

“His heart came out with a bunch of grass,” the girl with the camera says as she laughs, then kicks the corpse. “He’s dead. That’s funny.”

Uncovered by a Nevada animal abuse group before the girls deleted it from one of their Facebook pages, the two videos are being slammed by animal rights advocates as it goes viral and the girls are being investigated.

Facebook: Nevada animal abuse group's Facebook page

Clay Humane Executive Director Linda Welzant calls the treatment of the tortoise, officially an endangered species in Florida since 2007, a “cruel and intolerable” act.

“Those can escalate into violence to humans. It is all about teaching your children compassion for all creatures,” Welzant said, adding that she has seen this kind of behavior before.

“Unfortunately yes,” she said. “It is normally their own pets or a neighbor’s pets and it is very troubling that children in our society can do those things or anyone for that matter. ... They were actually enjoying themselves.”

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokeswoman Karen Parker said her agency is working with the State Attorney’s Office to determine possible charges against the girls, who are 15 and 18 and go to Ridgeview High School, according to a friend and law enforcement officials. Those could fall under state statutes for animal cruelty as well as killing or wounding an endangered species.

“We received quite a few complaints about this and a call from the Sheriff’s Office, so we had an officer go out last night,” Parker said. “... Everybody is pretty much sickened by it and can’t believe someone would do that to an innocent animal.”

The first of the two videos shows the girls dousing the tortoise with alcohol and lighting it ablaze as the creature runs in circles through the flames. The tortoise tries to escape after one of the girls douses it with fluid again.

“Burn baby, burn baby,” one girl says as they light the tortoise on fire. “Now you are scared of us, huh?”

One girl lights a stick on fire and jabs the tortoise, then again.

“He’s — — hissing still,” one says as they pick the struggling animal up.

A girl in a pink top, whose face is seen multiple times, throws the tortoise as the other girl laughs.

“Let’s do it again,” the videographer said. “Let me do it. He’s not dead. He just went in his shell.”

The tortoise is thrown again down the street as the girls laugh.

In the second video one girl stomps on the tortoise until it is dead — its organs forced through a cracked carapace. The girl with the camera puts it down next to the eviscerated tortoise and proclaims, “Dead turtle, everyone.”

A 16-year-old Ridgeview High School classmate and Facebook friend of the two girls said he saw the videos and was disgusted, so he downloaded them and posted some comments on Facebook.

“I love animals and have had a turtle since kindergarten,” the teen told the Times-Union. “... People like that don’t deserve to be on this planet because they took joy and thought it was funny and laughed at it.”

As the videos went viral, they caught the attention of a Las Vegas animal control officer, who told Nevada Voters for Animal president Gina Greisen about them Wednesday night.

“It wasn’t enough that they burned it, then tried to burn its face and threw it and stomped it. All the time, they are angry that it isn’t dead yet,” Greisen said. “It breaks my heart. That video will be indelibly etched in my brain.”

Calling the girls “depraved little minds,” she said she wants them charged with felony animal cruelty, especially after learning they threatened to “make a better one for y’all tomorrow” after negative comments appeared on social media.

Two girls answered the door Wednesday at the home off Blanding Boulevard near Ridgeview High, one with resemblances a girl in the video, but closed it without commenting.

Greisen said one of the girls apparently apologized on social media.

But the actions like those on the video show a complete lack of feeling for a living creature, according to Noelle Pomeroy, a licensed mental health counselor at the University of North Florida’s Counseling Center.

“It is very clear that there is no empathy being displayed at all,” she said. “... There is no clear link between boredom and what they did there. That is merely an excuse for a behavior that almost everyone else who is bored would never think of doing. It seems like a complete disregard for another living thing.”

To alert Fish and Wildlife about other cases, call (888) 404-3922.

Dan Scanlan: (904) 359-4549

http://members.jacksonville.com/new...Jacksonville.com+and+The+Florida+Times-Union)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Yes. It makes me sick too. What this world come to????

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
People suck, sometimes.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I didn't watch it. I almost vomited just reading that......

mchong9606

10 Year Member!
I'm not going to even try to view it. I'll just get so pissed off. These are really sick kids that need help.

EKLC

5 Year Member
It is important that we keep an eye on this case, and make sure they don't slip through the cracks. As minors I worry that a slap on the wrist is all they will get. I hope this goes viral enough that there is pressure for action from the courts. I will definitely write my representatives, however futile that is.

I have spent so much time as a rehabber trying to save gopher tortoises. I am always on call, and have driven a hundred miles at the drop of hat to help a gopher tort. It's hard enough that decades old tortoises, that beat the odds and made it to adulthood and are capable of living long reproductive lives are killed needlessly every day on the road. But the fact that there are people who actively attempt to hit them, or seek out burrows and catch gopher tortoises to eat, or fill their holes with gasoline trying to lure rattlesnakes out is just too much.

At the bottom of this quagmire of subhumans are people like these two girls. In deciding what to do with them, I think it would be best to follow a precedent. And since a rabid coyote is the closest thing I can think of to Ms. Ruger and Ms. Hope, I think they should be brought to animal services and quietly euthanized, for the good of all of us.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Disgusting at all levels. I know the SAO will file charges, no doubt!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I hope these girls really get time with a felony charge. If not, they will oneday become mothers, and I'd hate to think what abuse they'll do to their own child. I say put them away now so they don't get a chance to hurt anyone or any living thing again! And, when they get out, perhaps they'll be much older and wiser.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sad to say, but I honest;y don't think they will get more than a slap on the wrist, one can hope, but I doubt it.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
It should be a federal case of intentionally killing an endangered species.

I think the juvenile will get just a wrist slap, but the 18 year old should be tried as an adult. A $ 10,000. fine each would make the parents sit up and pay attention.

I have no reason to think leniency would be appropriate in these cases.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Set them on fire, kick then around and see how much THEY laugh. Animal cruelty is right up there with child abuse...attacking someone/thing that can't defend itself is the absolute lowest.

Their parents must be so proud of the shining example their kids are setting.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
It makes me cry thinking about the pain and fear that little tortoise felt. Those two girls are demented and need to be punished. How can a person do something like that and think its funny. They need to do some jail time.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I didn't watch it. I almost vomited just reading that......

I didn't watch the video either, I cried after reading this and had to call a friend and talk about this. I don't even want to try putting myself through the video of it happening. :(

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
It makes me cry thinking about the pain and fear that little tortoise felt. Those two girls are demented and need to be punished. How can a person do something like that and think its funny. They need to do some jail time.

I can't imagine what that poor little tort felt it's too horrible. I just don't know how someone can enjoy hurting something.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
This is just horrible. We as humans are suppose to be ambassadors for all the living creators on this planet. I'm embarrassed to be a human right now :(

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I couldn't watch it. I saw the picture of them pouring nail stuff on it and it made me cry.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
One of my Russians escaped from her garden and a neighbor kid took her home and I am sure tortured her to death. I know this because the yard guy told me he heard the kids Mom yell at the other kids to go get him before he got another turtle and killed it. I caught him throwing rocks at my others from across the fence. He is lucky I had not found out it was him who took my little girl and he is VERY lucky I have not seen him since finding out what he did to her (his family has gone back to Mexico) He is about 4 and still doesn't speak. I caught all the kids I had seen near my home and was not gentle in telling them what would happen if they were ever seen there again. I then had a letter sent to all the parents in the neighborhood detailing what would happen if their children did not stay away from my tortoises. I "hired" the one kid who really cared about them to keep the others away. He did a great job. I have since put up a taller fence and the plants have grown huge so the torts can actually hide now.
I don't know what I would do if I ever saw something like what these girls did, especially if it was one of my babies, but I will tell you I would probably have to go to trial over it. A person that will willfully and maliciously torture and kill a defensless creature AND film it for enjoyment needs to be exterminated. There is no coming back from that kind of crazy.