I am getting my first two torts!!

singapura78

I am so excited! I am receiving my first two Russian torts on Wednesday. They are rescues about 3 hours away from me. The rescuer got them from a bad living environment and she contacted me after seeing my request. I am so happy. World....meet Mavis and Manny.......I am so nervous now!

Attachments

• IMG_9246.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9648.jpg
    IMG_9648.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 33

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
WOW! Congratulations!!! They're nice looking RTs!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats. The only thing, they should not be housed in pairs. Most any tort for that matter, but specially Russians. So, if you don't have an enclosure for each, plan on doing so. In the mean time, keep a very close eye on them for bullying. It can happen in rare occasions that two will be fine together, but it is rare.

singapura78

Thanks Wellington - I definitely appreciate any and all advice. They are currently being housed together, but apparently the male is trying to breed the female and she is not receptive to him. So I will separate them so she can adapt better. Later I can try putting them together again to see if it works out. But I will be busy building a second enclosure this weekend now :) So here is the big question - since they HAVE been together, what if they DID breed? How would I know if she has eggs inside her later on?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks Wellington - I definitely appreciate any and all advice. They are currently being housed together, but apparently the male is trying to breed the female and she is not receptive to him. So I will separate them so she can adapt better. Later I can try putting them together again to see if it works out. But I will be busy building a second enclosure this weekend now :) So here is the big question - since they HAVE been together, what if they DID breed? How would I know if she has eggs inside her later on?
Sounds like the male is harassing the female, already; not a good sign. He might not stop pursuing her and it'll drive her to shut down and stop eating. This happened to my pair of Hermann's tortoises. They're happily divorced now. :D

It's quite possible they have mated, already, which is more reason to separate them. I believe the only way to know she's gravid, at this point, is by taking her to the vets for an X-ray. Maybe the experts can tell some other way? They'll chine in, soon.

May

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Without an X-ray, you will have to watch for her to dig nest. She may dig a few test nest before actually laying. I have. It had anyone to lay, not old enough. So I will get someone here that can better help you. @Tom

singapura78

Thank you so much. I really hope they haven't bred already……but not the end of the world if they have I suppose. I just need to keep my eye out and be prepared. I can't WAIT to get them Wednesday!!!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Later I can try putting them together again to see if it works out.
It'll end up being just the same as now if you try it again, so I wouldn't, guy torts have only one thing on their mind. The only way groups work is 3+ females and a male and even then it sometimes doesn't work. And if you don't want babies there's not point when there's already a second enclosure.
They're happily divorced now. :D
haha divorced! that's one way to put it :) made me smile today

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
What you could have already is two males. The aggression could look like mating. Either way, get them apart. They are solitary animals. I once had a little male Russian in with a pair of fully grown red feet. ( I volunteered to baby sit him for three days.) The little man chased and tormented the R/Fs continuously. He spent the last 24 hours in a wooden crate in solitary confinement.

singapura78

I have my new torts!!!! They are wonderful and so sweet and loving. They have had their baths, went potty, and have eaten. So everything is really good. Both of them are doing fine together so far - but everything is new to them right now. It is definitely a mature female (with the little short blunt tail and tapered tail tip) and a young male. She seems perfectly fine with him right now. WHEW! But as they settle and get more used to things, I will see what their behaviors are. I am over the moon!!!! And many thanks to all of you for your advice. It is very much appreciated!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I have my new torts!!!! They are wonderful and so sweet and loving. They have had their baths, went potty, and have eaten. So everything is really good. Both of them are doing fine together so far - but everything is new to them right now. It is definitely a mature female (with the little short blunt tail and tapered tail tip) and a young male. She seems perfectly fine with him right now. WHEW! But as they settle and get more used to things, I will see what their behaviors are. I am over the moon!!!! And many thanks to all of you for your advice. It is very much appreciated!
That's great! Post pictures when you can.

May