I AM IN NEED OF SOME HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleylover

5 Year Member
I am looking to convinve my parents(I am 16) to let me get a tortoise but I don't know which tortoise I want or how to convince them. My cousin has a Russian tortoise and I really like her. I am torn between a Forest Hinge-Back or a Russian tortoise. I have done my research and all of the website I have looked on say that both are nice, beginner friendly, and are still quite small torts. Please give me your honest opinion on how to convince my parents and which tort is the best! Also, if you think that there is a different type of turtle that is good and cheap please feel free to let me know or if these aren't ideal beginner tortoises.

Thanks and I hope I find a way to get one,
alleylover

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Have you calculated the start up cost. You will need, enclosure, UVB light, heat light, night time heat emitter, substrate, water bowl, food bowl, hides, decorations, food, supplements, vet bill money, just incase and of course the tortoise itself. Maybe if you came up with the total amount you will need to start and came up with most or all of that money yourself, then maybe they would feel you were responsible enough and serious enough to get one. As far as a good starter tortoise, I will let the more experienced help you with that part. Good luck:D
You may also want to tell your parents about this forum and all the help that is available to you on here.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
It will Usually Take around 2-3 hundred for everything you need for your tortoise to strive!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is always an interesting question .....now, I am a Mom of a 12 year old son...who I absolutely adore...who I believe to be a brilliant, developing,tenacious young man....a young man that I know is irresponsible with alot of "things" in his control...who is very easily persuaded to drop responsibility to take off and have an adventure...which is what a young person does for the most part....my son is not "into" reptiles...however, he thinks they are uber cool and enjoys looking at them, observing them and lending a hand to me from time to time ....but because he does not want to get the "
are you kidding me look" if he says no...lol

I would ask yourself a couple questions and try to be real in your answers.....have you had a long time interest in reptiles/tortoise...I mean like for ten years or more...a real interest.

Did your desire for a tort spark because of seeing how cute they are?

Do you have a regular source of income? Not the parents....
Have you thoroughly researched the two species you mention here? I mean, the heat lights, uva and uvb lights...the enclosure...the substrate...the hide...the plants to use to create a hiding spot...adult or baby...how many years of your life you will commit to a long living reptile....the stuff that most folks don't think about when they are looking strictly through cute eyes.....have you considered your skill level in the event your tort has any issues...are you committed to routine each and every day to make the tortoise feel safe and secure....are you committed to constant care if your tort should become under the weather?

Like I said, be real with yourself....straight up real....now, you have known your parents all of your life and you they you for all of yours to date...are you wishy washy or are you committed? Either is aok...but you know which you are...so only you can answer your initial question...:D

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
To answer your question a russian tort would probably get use to his new home and be out and about more than a hingeback would. I have never owned either but just from what Ive learned about them. Just be super nice to your parents for awhile til you get the tort:D:D:D Then you can turn into yourself again:D:D:D Kids do this all the time, My stepdaughter just walked into my room and had me sign a paper from her school that she didnt want her Mom to see. She said that I owed her because I always eat all her candy that she hides from me-- She is 12. If you get the tort it does need daily care and keep safe from predators and escaping. Good luck and turn on the old charm and maybe even do the dishes. Then they will for sure know U R up to something..........
Oh and listen to ASCOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
I agree with adopting a Russian tortoise. I was 16 when the situation to rescue many box turtles came my way. A pet store was abusing animals and being closed- the turtles needed homes and fast! Very fast! I took them all home -- they needed space and medicine. They got it and I still have my turtle Herbie as a result. I babysat a lot and during college I always worked two jobs. I was very busy --- but always took care of Herbie. She was my number one :) she went to college, to a summer house and traveled-- but always in her pen with heat and light. I still can't believe I traveled with all her stuff!! :)!! In college I lived in an apartment-style dorm with roommates. I was able to afford a nicer place because I worked and had roommates. My roommates respected Herbie -- and we didn't let anyone get too close to her when we had company.

Once you get a pen set up and go to your first vet visit (yes you will need a vet check up with a stool sample to check for parasites), you should be able to afford it with a small job. If you can work -- babysit or waitress you will be able to afford it. Getting fresh food for your tortoise weekly needs to be considered :) !! That's important :)

I worked a lot at 16... But it's so worth it :) I've had herbie now for over 25 years!! She's the best :)!! Good luck!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi alleylover:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx where in the world you are?

May I suggest that you start accumulating all the things you'll need to house a tortoise first. Once you have everything set up your folks will see that you are sincere.

A tortoise really needs to be outside, but for indoors you're going to need:

A very large plastic tub (or two large tubs with the opposing ends cut out and place them together to make one long tub)
Two light fixtures (one for day/one for night)
A UVB light and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter - heat for night time)
substrate
hiding place
plastic plants
feeding slate/tile
waterer

If your weather is nice enough, build an outdoor pen instead of buying all of the above. Make it fit in with your mom's outside decor.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Just remember... the more you do to get ready yourself, like purchasing and assymbling everything you will need to take care of a LIFE LONG pet. The easier it will be for your parents to see and RECOGNIZE the fact you are ready for this responcibility.... it may take awhile, but remember.... it is a LIFE LONG PET!

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Just to re-iterate....if properly taken care of, they will live for Fifty or more years.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
If you're up for the long-term commitment and have the cash for a proper set up and maintenance, I'd say go for it. They're very rewarding pets and are relatively low maintenance. (That doesn't mean maintenance free though!) Something else to consider though is long-term housing. How are you going to provide accommodations for the tort if you go to college or live in an apartment? Are you willing to go out of your way to find housing for yourself that will allow you to have reptiles? (Many apartments and dorms don't allow any pets at all.)

Also, I would encourage you to consider box turtles as well. They stay small and eat things that you typically keep in your fridge- I think they're easier to keep because of that.

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
After giving it more thought, if you're trying to convince your parents to allow the tort, it might help to involve them in the process and show them that you understand the responsibility and requirements. Also try to show them that they can be very personable companions and not creepy things with scales that sit in a tank. A lot of people don't seem to realize that.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good advice above... this is my take on it.

You start by doing A LOT of research. Find out everything there is to know about housing, feeding and caring for your intended pet. Do a project on it. Write it down. Find out the costs of every bit of equipment you need. As well as the setup costs there are ongoing food and care costs... and vet bills... that must be paid. Share this research with your family.

You start saving. If you want it that much be prepared to pay some or all of the costs. We are in harsh economic times and your parents may have very good financial reasons for not wanting to spend that they don't feel able to, and shouldn't have to, share with you.

You do your share of the chores without argument and put the same effort into your school work that you put into tortoise research. If you can't be bothered to do these why should your parents believe you will be bothered to look after your pet?

You don't argue, yell or sulk when discussing it with your parents. If you do, the answer will be an immediate NO. You have to keep your cool and show you are mature enough to take on a life-long pet. We parents do know what it's like and why it's unfair, but that doesn't mean we respond any better to mood swings than our parents did! :D

Torts can and do out-live their owners. Your pet will be your responsibility for the next 70 or so years and then the responsibility of someone else for decades too. What will happen as you go to college? What will happen when you go on holiday?

I'm a Mum. I have two teenagers and a tort that has been part of the family for 42 years and counting. It's a big commitment.

alleylover

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I already have almost $200 saved up and in still gettin more. You guys can call me Kay since that is what my friends call me!

Chreees

5 Year Member
I also got my first Thor when I was 16. I have always had a strong love for torts and my moms known that. I basically explained to my mom (My dad didn't care if I got it) that they are very clean and lovable creatures. I told her the cost would be expensive at first but of course what isn't now a days. When she finally decided it was fine my friend had gotten a Russian tort(Now Thor) for her birthday and didn't want him/care for him. I instantly bought him. My mom fell in love at first sight. She always wanted to watch him eat. You just have to show them that you really want one, prove you are responsible, Brown nose a little bit and have the financial part of it covered. Wish you luck
-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.