I am intrested in a leopard

Status
Not open for further replies.

chester tortoiseson

5 Year Member
I am interested in a leopard, but not for a LONG while. I read the care sheet but it confused me. Could you tell me the basics for caring for a leopard. Like heat day and night, humidity, enclosure size, best substrate, and other things that I need to know. If I get one it would be a hatchling, would i need to do anything extra to care for a hatchling? Also what would be the best place to get a cb leopard hatchling. Thanks!

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I keep my 6 month old leopard in a closed chamber enclosure. It keeps the heat and humidity up very well. I use a a 60w heat emitter at night and a 30w spot light from home depot as a basking light. I also have a 10.0 UVB tube bulb in with her. I have my lights and heat emitter on a timer on 12 hours rotation. I use coco coir for substrate and feed her greens....spring mix, mustard, kale, endive. i keep my enclosure always above 80 throughout the day and night with a basking temp of 95-102 during the day. My enclosure is the size of a 40g breeder.....but she is growing so fast she is quickly out growing it. Your may not grow as fast so a 40g might last you a while. There are many forum members that breed and sell leopards...

Good luck with you little one...below is an old pic of the enclosure that i use

2011-11-02133529.jpg

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I don't know if he has any left but Eweezyfosheezy sold me mine for $85.00! (without shipping [shipping will add on to that])

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The threads at the bottom of my post will be very helpful on raising a smooth healthy leopard. Jesst's post is the similar to how I raised mine, except I did not have a completely closed chamber. But I did use two 50'gal. Tubs that were connected with a tunnel and they both had tops on them with holes cut out for the heat and lights. However, temps, humidity, and food same. I used for lighting a MVB bulb for UVB and UVA and heat emitter for night temps. I added a humidifier to keep humidity up around 80 or higher. Good luck. Doing research before buying is a great move on your part. When you get closer to getting one, get his indoor and outdoor home all set up and test it out for temps and humidity. Then you can tweak it before he arrives.

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Just as eweezy and wellington says they know there stuff.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Everybody does things a little differently. Both because of philosophy and climate. You'll have to pick a style that suits you as a good general starting point and then make tweaks to suit YOUR specific situation. I'm constantly checking and fine tuning my enclosures. As the torts grow or the seasons change, so does the set up need to be updated.

I use something very similar to jesst. I think it is ideal. It uses very little electricity, yet it maintains near perfect conditions all the time. Having an open top makes it very difficult to hold in any heat or humidity and it makes it very difficult to balance heat, moisture, evaporation and desiccation.

By the time you get ready to get one, even more might be known about them and the style of keeping them will likely have evolved. We are always looking to learn and improve things here.

Status
Not open for further replies.