I am looking for a yearling female russian tortoise

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
You probably won't be able to tell the sex at 1 year.

Is Laval in Canada?

If so, C and C tortoises is one option. I'm not sure how up to date their website is, but you might try contacting them.

_The_Beast_

Canada

Is Laval in Canada?

If so, C and C tortoises is one option. I'm not sure how up to date their website is, but you might try contacting them.

C&C (last time I checked) doesn't have Russians at the moment. Prairie Hill (https://www.prairiehillstortoises.ca/) and Tortoise Passion (https://tortoisepassion.ca/) often do. On fb, the Canadian Tortoise Keepers group is really active and often has posts on available torts.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)

Is Laval in Canada?

While at 1 year, tortoises usually all still look female, you CAN know what they are based on their egg incubation temperature. If the egg was incubated at 89-90°F the the tortoise is 95%+ female. If 85-86°F then male.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...you CAN know what they are based on their egg incubation temperature. If the egg was incubated at 89-90°F the the tortoise is 95%+ female. If 85-86°F then male.
Has that been your experience so far? How many have you grown out to determine this, and how accurate is your thermometer. I'm excited that someone is working this out for Russians and taking notes. This is great news! Please start a thread and share the details and what you've learned. I wish people were doing this with all species.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Has that been your experience so far? How many have you grown out to determine this, and how accurate is your thermometer. I'm excited that someone is working this out for Russians and taking notes. This is great news! Please start a thread and share the details and what you've learned. I wish people were doing this with all species.
I just posted my (limited) findings in my CB group post. :)

Reactions: Tom

BeeZee1

manteca ca

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 5.jpg