I am moving out of state, how can I safely transport my tortoise?

S

svetlana

I'm moving (by car) from Indianapolis, IN to Portland, OR in a couple of months, and I just wanted to ask what the best way to move her would be? It's looking like it's going to be a 4 day trip, each day driving between 7-12 hours. I've done a fair amount of research on it, but I haven't been able to find much about a feeding schedule; most posts address trips that are a few hours to a day, and nothing longer than two days. I know that they can go a day or two without food, but I feel like 4 days is too long! If anyone can provide insight on the feeding situation and/or any tips or tricks about moving tortoises in general, that would be greatly appreciated!

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
What kind of tortoise? You can use a dog kennel and provide hides and substrate but won't have heat while driving needed for digestion. Could you ship him/her ahead of time or after you arrive and have someone keep them in the meantime? They can easily go 4 days with no food as long as you provide heat and soaks while at the hotel which means possibly using a tub as a closed chamber with the lighting set-up and a water bowl. Not sure how long digestion takes but you could possibly feed them each evening while in your hotel.

S

svetlana

She is a Russian. And, yes, I have seen stuff about soaks and heat and I'm sure she would be fine. I think that I'm just being overly cautions because this is my first reptile, I'm used to cats and dogs and such that need a much more regular feeding schedule so it's a little difficult to shift my mindset.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will be moving when it's still warm out. Put him in a container that has room for a food dish and water dish. When you stop for the night give him some water or soak him if your staying in hotels. Give him food as nordmal. It's not a big deal unless your having to deal with cold.