I am new and I want to know if I am doing things right!

vadoredouardo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
so I got two babies sulcata tortoises last year in April and May and just wanted to show you their conditions and habitats.
They first had a 10 gallons terrarium that I changed in a 40 one pretty soon but they haven't been growing a lot since then.
I feed them with kale and mix green salads and very rarely(1 or 2 times) some fruits.
They have a good enclosure I think and if you could gave me any advice, it will be appreciated!

If you want me I can share pictures

Edouard

vadoredouardo

Florida
Both are about the same age but I saw that one of the two is smaller, she is eating after, more shy, staying in her hide and I saw her one time have some bubbles on her nose during their weekly bath.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
1. They should never be kept together in pairs
2. 10 gallon is never good.. a 40 might b doable for a couple months for 1 hatchling
3. Get some grass and weeds into their diet.. sulcatas are grazers and need high fiber
4. Pics are always good

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome!!! Pictures always help the most! I hope you will take all advice in the spirit it’s given ( for the best interest of the tortoise) because nothing I’m reading sounds too good so far.. on the bright side, we are very glad you have found us and hope the best for you and your babies. I’ll start out with giving you some care sheets.
Sulcata Diet Items
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Sulcata-Diet-Items.173018/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata...
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
1. Read through those threads
2. Those water bowls are a no no.. use a terra cotta plant saucer level with the substrate
3. How to you check your temps and humidity?
4. That ramp thing you can get rid of.. its a flipping hazard
5. What do you use for uvb?
6. Separate the babies.. one will bully the other
There is so much wrong with what im seeing. Im glad you came here for help. Lot of good info on here to help your babies thrive

vadoredouardo

Florida
ok i am gonna order the terra cotta plant, I am gonna take of the ramp thing, my uvb are Repti Basking Spot Lamp and ReptiSun 5.0 Mini compact fluorescent lamps
I cant control the temperature now, I am buying a controller of humidity and tmperature this weekend, the problem is that I just moved in and I don;t know how to seprate them since they have been together for almost a year and half, I haven't been searching for it

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Those coil bulbs are no good. Get the tube type. And you can get yourself a couple large plastic totes/ shoeboxes for now really cheap to separate them, and it will give them more room than that 40 gal.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
See how she bullies me? Thats what will happen to the non dominant tort... she steals all my food and wont let me eat either

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I have two babies that were hatched April of last year too. The last weights I took, one was 5lbs9oz and the other 3lbs7oz... IMG_3721.jpgIMG_3723.jpg