I am new and I want to know if I am doing things right!

vadoredouardo

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
ok thanks for everything, to you think I could to a very big space for both of them, a custom one cause i could do One I think with a very big boxe for both of them.

Plus About the bulliying, they are getting very well along and are eating together like brothers. and I dont know if they are male or female if soeone could help me with that.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
ok thanks for everything, to you think I could to a very big space for both of them, a custom one cause i could do One I think with a very big boxe for both of them.

Plus About the bulliying, they are getting very well along and are eating together like brothers. and I dont know if they are male or female if soeone could help me with that.

The smaller one is being bullied now. In post #2 you said she is smaller, more time in the hide, eating after the larger one...these are all signs of bullying.

So no, you cannot make a box big enough for both of them. The bullying will continue and get worse, until they actually fight and hurt each other.

They are too young to know their gender. It will be a few years until you know for sure. It doesn't really matter...even if male and female, he will continually try to mate with her, to the point of her being injured, and even dying.

They cannot stay together.

vadoredouardo

Florida
ok thank you very much, that make me sad because i thought they could get along and lived a perfect life:( but you can always get what you want in life.

Do some of you have links of very bigs plastics boxes so i could get two of they for my torts.

vadoredouardo

Florida
Hello I already posted another thread yesterday on my tortoises,
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/i-am-new-and-i-want-to-know-if-i-am-doing-things-right.177643

I joined yesterday and I need help, because on the first thread, they told me that my enclosure was too small dn I should separate them(knowing I have two about 1 1/2 years old), that is why I wanted to ask you guys if a big sandbox could do the thing if I separate in the middle and they would both have one side.

thesandbox is on this link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N17VPOR/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Thank you in advance,

Edouard:):<3::tort:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
From what I see, The problem with the new proposed sandbox enclosure is that it’s very hard to maintain the required humidity levels. Yes, you can divide in half, but hard to keep them enclosed.

Id also remove the fske tort, just one more confusing thing for your torts.

Good luck

vadoredouardo

Florida
ok thank you maro2bear for this info but to maintain humidity what is the best think for them in typeof enclosure

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Edouard, take the advice you have been given. They are solitary reptiles so buddies are not needed. The light you are using can cause blindness. The flouresnt tube type are best. They need complete darkness when sleeping. A CHE can give you the heat they need at night. The biggest storage bin you can find for each of them will work. You will have to cover the top to keep the humidity and heat in. Your little buddy's are pyramiding( bumpy shell)that is caused by having a dry environment. Do you soak them everyday for 1/2hr in warm water? Also NO FRUIT not good for a sulcata diet.
Here are a few things you really need.
A infrared temp gun to spot check the whole enclosure.Also you really need 2 of these temp/ hydrometer for each enclosure. They have wire probes that you can place low in the enclosure at critical spots. 20190304_173100.jpg 20190304_173132.jpg

vadoredouardo

Florida
ok thanks a lot, the reptile shop where i bought them, told me to soak them once a week, so I listen t them but I see that this is very bad and i am gonna to what you said for everything thank you. If you have any link on amazon or so please I need them becuase I cant find anything for it.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hey Edouard, like the other answer from Mark. Once you put lights and heating elements in there. You really don't have the height. Once you put the substrate in there you will lose more height. Unless you could build a framework above it with a cover to completely enclose everything.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Edouard, starting a separate thread will only make everyone, including you, confused. The same members will see this thread as your original one, so you will get the same answers.

However, if you want, you could start a thread in the sulcata sub-forum. In your first post there, put a link to your original post. Or ask one of the moderators to merge these threads.
@Yvonne G
@wellington

Last edited:

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club