I am new here (Upgraded enclosure and substrate)

linoleum

Location (City and/or State)
Portland
Hi there! I have had a Russian Tortoise for about 2 years. All this time she has been in a tank about 3' X 2' approx. I just built her a nice "palace" considering, that is something like 6' X 2.5'. She had been in reptile beddin g from the store, somethi8ng like bark chips. So I researched and found that sand and top soil is a good choice so that is what I got. She does not seem to like it. She's been in there about 3 days, and rarely burrows. She's also climbing the corners trying to get out. I but lots of ornamentation, plants, rock, water plate she can fit in, even a gargoyl to guard her hidey hole.
Another main concern isz she seems to be breathing heavy. I've never seen her breaths take so much energy.
please help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sand and soil should never be used for tortoises. That is old incorrect info, but many have done it for years and still recommend it. We know better now. The orchid bark you were using before is a much better substrate. I buy it it bulk at local nurseries. Also called "fir bark" at the nursery or "Reptibark" at the pet store. You want the fine grade.

Its pretty normal for them to be restless for a while after a move Ito a new enclosure. The sand and soil can be irritating, so switching that out for new bark might help.

Check this out for more correct care info:

linoleum

Portland
Sand and soil should never be used for tortoises. That is old incorrect info, but many have done it for years and still recommend it. We know better now. The orchid bark you were using before is a much better substrate. I buy it it bulk at local nurseries. Also called "fir bark" at the nursery or "Reptibark" at the pet store. You want the fine grade.

Its pretty normal for them to be restless for a while after a move Ito a new enclosure. The sand and soil can be irritating, so switching that out for new bark might help.

Check this out for more correct care info:
Hi there! I have had a Russian Tortoise for about 2 years. All this time she has been in a tank about 3' X 2' approx. I just built her a nice "palace" considering, that is something like 6' X 2.5'. She had been in reptile beddin g from the store, somethi8ng like bark chips. So I researched and found that sand and top soil is a good choice so that is what I got. She does not seem to like it. She's been in there about 3 days, and rarely burrows. She's also climbing the corners trying to get out. I but lots of ornamentation, plants, rock, water plate she can fit in, even a gargoyl to guard her hidey hole.
Another main concern isz she seems to be breathing heavy. I've never seen her breaths take so much energy.
please help!

I thought Russian tortoises came from desert climates so this ground covering would be fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought Russian tortoises came from desert climates so this ground covering would be fine.
The areas where they come from can be arid at times, but not a desert.

Sand is a huge impaction risk and possible skin and eye irritant.

Soil is made from composted yard waste. It could be grass clippings with weed n' feed, oleander clippings, or rose clippings with fungicide. No way to know, and the makers don't intend for small animals in indoor enclosures to be living on it. There are also frequently additives in soil, and its messy and muddy when wet.

Niether component is good for tortoises to be living on.

Ubercat

Sheffield
I worry about the orchid bark from garden suppliers having pesticides/fertiliser, etc. Should I be worried?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If a tortoise comes from an area of the world where the ground is composed of sand, it's NOT sand like at the beach, that is, loose. It's hard packed sand, quite different from adding sand to an enclosure. In an enclosure sand gets on the food and they accidentally eat it. In the real world of sand, the tortoise doesn't eat off a plate or off the ground, he bites his food off a stem or blade - up off the ground. Also, sand irritates a tortoise's eyes in an enclosure.